Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

goose guestion

Old 12-12-2002, 03:46 PM

Default goose guestion

Want to try goose hunting soon but have a question. What time of day are geese looking for water and when are they looking to feed in fields? I have a lake where I duck hunt and I always see geese(Season not open during duck) fly by. I want to try goose hunting but I don't want to be sitting on a lake when they want to be in fields. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Detroit, MI
Old 12-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: goose guestion

Geese will roost on the water overnight and head to the fields usually at daybreak.They'll head back and forth thruout the day from fields to water--that's my experience in the areas I hunt.Most of the geese I hunt are resident populations.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-26-2002, 12:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: goose guestion

Depends on weather conditions, how long you have to hunt, and most important what the birds want to do. This year we've had geese do everything imaginable. Example we set up one morning before sun up and waited and waited and waited finally the first flock of geese started to move at about 11:30 am. from the water to the fields. Then 2 days later we started to set up at about sun up 7:00-8:00 am. because of what the birds did earlier in the week and they were already moving then. Some days they didn't move at all until dusk. Just scout and try to pick up on their pattern which this year is very very hard to do. We went out late season and the geese were never in the same fields 2 days in a row. It was really hit or miss. Also later in the season they didn't even look at decoys in fact the decoys flared the geese. Your best bet I would say is to find some water were they are sitting and wait till they go to the fields and while they're gone set up and catch them on their return becasue they almost always consistently go back to the same water granted they don't get chased off first. If they get chased off your S.O.L. then they'll change again. The might go back to the same hole a few days later but almost never the next day.

Wait, wait, ready PLUG EM!!!!!