Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Barrels Guestion >

Barrels Guestion

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barrels Guestion

Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Barrels Guestion

I need 3 barrels to build 3 rifles in gunsmithing school Jan 8 2007

I need feedback on which barrels yall like best for custom reloaded ammo

I am looking in MidWayUsa.com for prices
With Adams & Bennet being the least expensive.

1. Shilen

2. Adams & Bennet

3. Hart

4. Douglas

Because of price and not having much money to buy them with
I am leaning towards Adams & Bennet.

So to all the reloaders out there which barrel shoots best
With custom loads ?
Or factory ammo ?

Thank You

Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Barrels Guestion

Out of those, I have experience with Shilen and douglas, and liked the shilen the best. Very smooth. But now I am a lilja guy.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out www.grafs.com for prices they have free shipping.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:41 PM

Any of these barrels have the potential to be a great shooter. Stay away from the Shilen barrels sold by Brownell's. They used to be pretty good. Last four years I don't know what happened. The A & B barrels sold in Midway are a little variable in quality - some are real good. They look almost identical to Douglas through the bore scope. Maybe seconds? Probably as good as most factory barrels, and half the price of a Douglas.

Douglas barrels seem to have gotten a little better in the past five years. Very good value for the dollar. Rare to get a lemon.

Hart is always good. So is Lilja and Krieger. About the same price range. I still use more Kriegers than all others combined. They machine like butter. Quality is very consistent. And I like dealing with German boys from Wisconsin .
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Hart for the 22 cenerfires and Krieger on up from there.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:14 PM

Krieger
Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 AM
bigcountry

You know guys, I was a hardcore krieger fan until my last one which fouled like nobodies business. I know everybody puts out a bad one here and there, but too bad for me, it was me who got it.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Mark - did you ever call Krieger and see if they would agree to take it back and ar least look it over? I deal with them quite a bit, and they seem to be honorable folks who stand behind their products. They also might be able to shed some light on whether the barrel was an oddlemon, or if there was something else amiss.

A couple of years back, I had been waiting the usual three months for .264 barrel blank. They called one day and said they had finally run the batch of barrels, but in the final testing and air gauging the batch was not quite up to their standards. I did a little inquiring about just what these standards consisted of and was fairly impressed. Sounds like the batch of barrels they just junked would have been more than adequate for anyone except a national level competitive shooter.

Two more months later I finally got the barrel.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM
bigcountry

No I didn't Roskoe. I already had it chambered. My gunsmith suggested I might send it back too. But I would have had to send the whole barreled action to em. So I sold that one, and got soemthing else.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both Hart and Shilen make good barrels. You will nevr go wrong with a Douglas Premiem grade barrel- see below 5 shots from a Douglas @ 100 yards. 6mm/284, 100-grain Sierra flatbase, 53 grains H4831, MV 3350 FPS....

Quick Reply: Barrels Guestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.