Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Help Me Choose a Hunting Arrow, Broadhead >

Help Me Choose a Hunting Arrow, Broadhead

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help Me Choose a Hunting Arrow, Broadhead

Old 11-28-2002, 11:13 AM

Default Help Me Choose a Hunting Arrow, Broadhead

I'm trying to make up my mind on hunting arrows to use with my new Legacy that I'm getting at Christmas, and I've got a bit of a unique situation that's making it hard for me to choose. I broke my right hand (I'm right-handed) really badly about a year ago and I'm just now getting cleared for exercise and heavy lifting with it. As you can imagine, in the last year I've lost a LOT of strength in my right arm. I'm getting the bow set down to 60lbs when I get it and plan to crank it up to 70 within about four or five months. That means I want arrows are spined correctly for the entire range from 60 to 70lbs. Now take that requirement and combine it with the fact that in WA, you have to hunt with arrows that weight at least 6 grains per pound of draw weight (which will be 420 grains). I can't give a concrete length for the arrows yet, since I don't have the bow. It will be 28.5" draw length and I'm getting a Whisker Biscuit on the bow for now and will be getting the Muzzy ZE that will work on a Legacy when it comes out in late January. Someone here with more experience than I have could probably guess pretty accurately at the arrow length necessary for use with the Whisker Biscuit, and I can have them cut a bit shorter later for use with the MZE rest if necessary.

The arrows I'm currently considering are Black Hawk Carbon Camo Vapor (4000) or the Goldtip Camo 5575 XT Hunter Arrows, fletched with 4” vanes. The ones I'm leaning most toward are the Vapor camos. The heavier weight per inch will help me make the 420 grains without using weight tubes, and the camo finish isn't likely to come off. Neither the dealers here in WA or the shop in AL where I'm going to buy the bow (when I'm there over Christmas) carry the Vapors, though, so I might have to order them from somewhere like Mountain Archery (back to the problem of wanting to have arrows to shoot when I pick up the bow, but not knowing what length to get). I've heard of SO many people having good results with the tried-and-true 5575 XT's and nearly everyone carries them, so I'm tempted to just go with those. I could get the shop where I'm getting the bow to make me up a dozen and not have to worry about getting them before Christmas. Any advice on which to choose or suggestions for other arrows?

As for the broadhead choice, it's a pretty simple one and will only be determined by weight. I've always liked the 100-grain Muzzy 3-bladers, but I might have to go with 125-grainers to make the 420-grain weight. Of course, choosing the heavier head may make me have to choose a stiffer spined arrow and further complicate the situation where the arrow has to be correctly spined for both 60 and 70lb draw weight. Feel free to suggest others, but I'm pretty stuck on the Muzzy 3-blades.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice you can offer. If someone can tell me for sure what arrow length I'll need for a 28.5" draw length Legacy with a Whisker Biscuit, that would be much appreciated as well.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:53 PM
CG

Default RE: Help Me Choose a Hunting Arrow, Broadhead

That's a tough order to fill....I would say get arrows spined for the 70lb. area and adjust your point weight to get the right spine at the lower poundage. AS far as which arrows, all I can tell you is that the GT will be noisy drawn accross the WB. You might consider Beman ICS Hunters in 340 to get you the weight you need. Plus the smooth finish is quiet on any rest. As far as arrow length, you will be able to shoot a 27" -27.5" arrow with the WB. Nothing wrong with going with a full length arrow though to keep your weight up.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 11-30-2002, 10:18 AM

The vapors are a good shaft & I have been testing them for a while now. I am very happy with them. I also have had great luck using the bemans & eAston all carbon arrows. As far as which spine & weight to go with. Well I woudl personally buy a 1/2 dz. to get you started that are spined correctly for what you want to shoot at the beginning. Once you get back into form I would then make the switch & then buy a dozen arrows spined for your finaly setup. It can be a pain to play with lengt, tip weight, etc. to try & correct spine problems.

Old 11-30-2002, 07:33 PM

Gold tip hunter 7595 will work for you in a 29.5" length A little stiff at 60 Lbs, but PERFECT at 70 Lbs
With 125 gn tips, and 3 4 3/4" vanes you'd be around 443 grains. 3 7/8" vanes would put you at around 422.
You could go longer with the arrow, and bring the spine for the 60 lbs closer to ideal. You would have to go a good deal longer to get out of the green (The archery program) for 70 lbs.
Those arrows are 8.9 grains per inch.
Check out (and buy ) The archery program
www.thearcheryprogram.com