Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect? >

going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:22 AM

Default RE: going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

Quick question though, I have my sight (copper John Hunter) as far up and 10 yard pin up as far as possible . Why is this?? I have peep lined uo with my eye and dont want to move it , so , I'm just wondering what I can do. Any idea's to how I;d be able to lower ( center) my sight ??? Without putting arrows into my roof?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 AM

Honestly it will be the best thing you will ever do, but Ihad a hard time using a wrist stly realse, a buddy happen to have an extra carter bigkid 3D that he wasnt using and needless to sa y he never got it back. My scores skyrocketed. If you are a hunter or into 3D and indoor target, try on out, you dont have to have the string loop tied on and I thought it was very esay to get used to, it is conk of like a tension release when you get to you anco point just start making a fist then BAM your arra is gone. and dont for get to change over your rest, one that is designed for mechanicl release than a finger set up. but I think you will like it. I had watched a video that my coach had at one time and you wouldnt belive the way the arrows left when it was shoot with figurs than compared to a release. That video is what made up my mind to make the switch. If you have any questions leave me a message in my inbox and maby eI can get you a coupy of the video. Have A Good Day
Old 11-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quick question though, I have my sight (copper John Hunter) as far up and 10 yard pin up as far as possible . Why is this?? I have peep lined uo with my eye and dont want to move it , so , I'm just wondering what I can do.
For one thing, with today's bows you don't need a pin set for anything under 20 yards. I've got mine set for 27 yards. It's an inch high at 10, 1 1/2" high at 20 and an inch low at 30. Your points of impact will vary, depending on your sight parallax and arrow speed, but you get the idea.

For another, you've stepped into a completely different method of shooting. You can't do that and get by without wholesale changes to your setup, even though some of the changes might be a pain in the butt. Like moving the peep and getting it re-aligned. You've got to move your anchor to get within your sight's range of adjustment, which will force you to move your peep. It's a pain, but it's gotta be done.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

paka,

You may not want to move your pins, b ut that's most likely what you'll have to do. Your anchor is too low to allow for a lower sight. That's why I said earlier that you may have to shorten the draw length of the bow when moving from fingers to release. If you like to have the string touch your nose then when you raise your anchor the draw length is not going to allow for this. The string will be drawn more back along the side of the nose.

Just for a reference, if you can see in a mirror or have someone else help you, when you are at full draw the arrow nock should be approximately straight down from your eye. If it's behind the eye then the draw is too long. After you establish a better draw then you can adjust the length of the release head or the string loop (if you use one) to get your body in good alignment.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:27 AM

Thanks Guys for all the replysIf anyone out there is still shooting fingers , you owe it to your selves to try a string loop and mechanical release. I was so die hard fingers but had to try this set up out to see what all the hype was about. Consistency , accuracy , and very tight groups I cant believe what a difference it has had on my hunting. And dont let how long it would take for you to get used to deter you, might only be a cupple days or sessions.
And my anchor had to move up my face and peep come down to get sights to even out. Also had to drill out peep a little ( When people say take the peep out first , dont think your the special where nothing will happen[:@]) Scared the crap out of me when it spun out. But all is well , Thanks again everyone!!!!!