Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 paint on my bow help me get it off! >

paint on my bow help me get it off!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

paint on my bow help me get it off!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:23 PM

Default paint on my bow help me get it off!

Ok so i have a bow where the previous owner had applied some green paint to the bow(would not suprise me if it were spray paint) does anyone have any suggestions how to get it off of the bow.(and the bow is wooden)
Old 11-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: paint on my bow help me get it off!

I would disassemble the bow first of all
if it is spray paint you could use laquer thinner but be careful and use spairingly this way you will not do to much dammage to the original finish, once you get it back down to the wood
once you get the paint thinned down you may want to use mineral spirits because it is not as caustic as the laquer thinner
then you will probably need to sand it with some 1200 grit wet sanding paper then refinish with Polyurethane.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: paint on my bow help me get it off!

Most spray paints are either laquer or enamel , if you can bend the bow without cracking the paint it probably isn't either one since they're hard finish paints . In order to remove the paint without damaging the bow you'll first have to determine what kind it is . Light thorough sanding as Bigpapascout suggested may be the only safe way to remove it as solvents may delaminate the limbs .