Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect? >

going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM

Default going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

Aloha All ,
I'm gonna go for it and am at the point where a friend is bringing me loop material tommorow. Heres my plan.
1) square arrow , tie in loop.
2) set center shot
Then Im getting kind of lost. I will go with "T" form and hope my draw length wont have to be changed , I need a bow press to do so if it has to be done right? So then I pull back and adjust peep to be in front of my eye correct? From there do I just sight in? Ive shot fingers for all my bowhunting life11 years , and everyone says it will really increase accuracy. So I have to give it a try.
If any one has any tips, idea's or comments please let me know, I'd really appreciate

Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

I switched this past summer myself. You might consider clipping your release on the string with a rubber cushion button to prevent arrow pinch. This works good if you have a longer ATA (mine is 38")bow. I didn't change my draw length and kept my peep close to same spot - anchoring the release at the corner of my mouth. Now I've got a switchback which is much shorter ATA so I went with a string loop then added a kiser button so I can get my eye closer to my peep. I don't really like attaching all this stuff to my string so I might ditch the peep, but it sure shoots nice - squeeze the trigger - whap the arrow goes where your pin is. Good luck with the switch.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Draw length should remain the same. You'll probably have to move the nock set/ string loop down so that the arrow is square with the rest compared to nock high for fingers (and of course, move the peep accordingly). Finding a consistant anchor point is most likely going to be your biggest issue to resolve. You may want to try a kisser button until you get used to the release. The next thing you'll have to get used to is shooting seperate spots each shot so you don't wreck your arrows!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to find that the draw length will probably be too long. Instead of the string wrapping a nice radius around the fingers it comes to more of a point where the release attaches. So normally it'll have to be shortened about 1/2"- 1".

Now you're talking of adding a loop. This will make you stretch out more yet. Make sure you have a release that you can adjust the length of just in case. Keep the loop as short as possible. It only needs to be long enough that thr release jaws don't touch the arrow knock when hooking up.

Other than that, you may have to shoot a lighter spined arrow, but give what you got a try first. Oh, and most likely you'll have to completely retune the bow. Because shooting a release gets rid of archer's paradox the centershot may need to be changed. In other words, just do a complete retune.

Got a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide? If not download it from www.eastonarchery.com.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

what to expect...........better accuracy for about 90% of the people who switch. just might want to focus on not developing any bad habbits like punching the trigger or target panic.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you purchase a release aid that attaches with a wrist strap. Until you are familiar with the release there is a tendency to let go, and it will go without being attached your body.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:30 AM

thanks all , going outside to try to set it up
Old 11-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a wrist strap release, I would add that youmight experiencethe wierdestfeeling, like you're handcuffed to the freakin' bow! I had the darnedest time getting used to that when I started using a release. It was actually claustrophobic and, I swear I'm not lying, I had to fight down a panic attack on more than one ocassion! [&:]It took several weeks before I finally got used to it, but never quite comfortable with it. That's likely the reason I nevergot to the point where I could shoot any better with a release than I could with fingers.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know one thing you can expect for sure....

BETTER ACCURACY. its gonna take a while to get used to tho
Old 11-12-2006, 01:07 AM

One thing to expect it to change you grip [:@]Slapped the hell out of my forearm holding my old way twice. And yes it really , really hurt.
So I added a loop , raised my peep sight up and my pins had to go up to , but I must say the accuracy is RIDICLOUS . Ive never seen such consistent arrows. Gonna go sight in past ten yards tonight . Talk later. Thanks for all idea's and thaughts.

Quick Reply: going from fingers to trigger?? What to expect?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.