Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what fletching do I want, straight,R,L,offset >

what fletching do I want, straight,R,L,offset

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what fletching do I want, straight,R,L,offset

Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 PM

Default what fletching do I want, straight,R,L,offset

I want to purchase a fletching jig but what kind, and do i want right heilical left or straight, what is offset.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what fletching do I want, straight,R,L,offset

You definately do not want straight, it's pointless unless you concerned with rest clearance.

You want either helical or offset. Helical wraps around the arrow shaft, offsets sits on the shaft at an offset angle...

I prefer Offset clamps on a fletch jig like the Bitzenberger because of the versatility. Helical will get you slightly more spin quicker out of the bow however an offset clamp allows you to regulate how much or how little offset you can use. If your strictly a drop away rest shooter, extreme helical is a great clamp because your going to get optimal arrow flight because of spin.

Spin is the key to good arrow flight out of a well tuned bow and matched tuned arrows, particularly for broadhead stabilization.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 AM

Helical will always give you the best arrow flight. The only drawbacks are that some rests have to be adjusted more carefully to allow clearance and they can be difficult to attach to some small diameter shafts.

A spinning arrow gives you the best flight. The faster it spins, the better the flight. Helical gives you the greatest spin.

Right or left doesn't matter unless you're shooting traditional with the feathers hitting your hand.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't do a straight fletch..do an offset or a helical. Straight won't do much for you, where a helical will stabalize the arrow quicker, especially when there is a broadhead on the arrow.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice above, but one thing was left out. You can adjust a good jig (Bitz) with a straight clamp for an offset. Straight in and of itself will not stabilize and arrow with blades on the front end. It's kinda like throwing a knuckle ball at best. You never know where it's going to go.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:07 PM

thanks for all the input, I do have a drop away rest. so I think I will get a jig with a helical clamp. I want a good quality jig, any one good brand?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that a right Helical clamp is better than strait however helical clampsdo not always acomidate certiain types of fletching. Helical clamps work great on feathers and flexible vanes like Duravanes of just about any length but does not work very well with Bhoning Vanes because they are more rigid and do not conform to the contour of the clamp for these types of aplications it is best to use a strait clamp set on an off set angle.

to answer the question of what kind of Jig to buy in my opinion Bitzenberger is the absolute best money can buy and will be the best for clamp selections but will be a little more pricy around $65.00
Bhoning also makes a great little clamp but I am not sure if they offer Helical clamps with their jigyou can get one of these Directly from Bhoning or you can get one from Bass pro shops for around 30 dollsrs
Greyling is also another good little unit but helical clamps are hard to get for this one as well around 40 bucks at bass pro
for the money applying vanesI would get the little Bhoning use the strait clamp at an off set unless you are using feathers then I would higly recomend the Bitz with the RH Helical clamp.
Greyling