Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fletching types (helical, straight, offset) >

fletching types (helical, straight, offset)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching types (helical, straight, offset)

Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 PM

Default fletching types (helical, straight, offset)

Alright, I screwed up the fletchings on a half dozen of my carbons, so i bought a jig to re fletch them....i got a bpe straight fletchign jig off ebay...but my new arrows are helical,....what is the pros and cons of each type (offset, helical, and straight)....will I be alright with a straight vane setup?..I'm using 28" carbons, 100 gr. f.p. right now but will be 100 gr. b.h. at 64 pounds if that helps any....my arrows fly decent right now.....but will there be that much performance loss with the straight jig?....thanks....also is it necessarry to use an arrow wrap?....can i just scrape the old vanes and glue off with a razor blade?...thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fletching types (helical, straight, offset)

About a week ago, I posted a vane thread titled "vanes: offset vs helical" and you can go there ----> http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1503238
Most of those questions are answered! In regards to wraps, they slightly weigh down your arrow, but you get better adhesion when you vanes are glued to the wrap instead of the shaft. There isn't anything wrong with glueing straight to the shaft. Another plus about wraps is there isn't all the scraping and sanding to get all the glue off...just pull the wrap off, however, if one fletching needs to be re-placed, they all get replaced.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fletching types (helical, straight, offset)

I'm not familar with your jig, as to it's adjustability but will add this. You should shoot at least a straight-offset configuration if you plan on shooting broadheads. This helps spin the arrow which helps stabilize it, especially with blades on the front.