Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Offset fletching vs. straight? >

Offset fletching vs. straight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Offset fletching vs. straight?

Old 04-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Offset fletching vs. straight?

I have some beman which have been frustrating since i know it is important that the fletching does not touch the rest during launch. The offset seems a little tricky to get just right, so i started wondering, is there any benefit to it? Seems many carbon arrow manuf make straight fletching and it sure is easier to make certain it doesn' t hit the rest. Why doesn' t beman offer straight fletching?

regards.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Offset fletching vs. straight?

I couldn' t tell you for sure, but my guess is because you achieve more accuracy with offset vanes over straight. The clearance on other carbons is obviously because of smaller diameters. But I' d go with as much offset as you can get clearance on. You' ll get more spin that way which means more accuracy. Play with some straight, and some offset. I bet you' ll see a difference.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:07 PM

because you achieve more accuracy with offset vanes over straight.
Not true! I have shot straight feather fletch for years with superb accuracy.

Last season I fletched with a 1-degree offset because of some minor flight irregularities, but have tracked down the real problem and will refletch with straight for this season.

Go here and enter fletch in the search bracket.

http://domino.htcomp.net/ragsdale.nsf
Old 04-30-2003, 06:32 PM

I' ve used straight fletchings just for that reason. The key is finding good broadheads that fly straight. I' ve noticed that most 1 piece broadheads fly straighter than the replaceable blade types. It' s all personal preference mainly. If you feel there' s too much contact with your rest, maybe you should look into the newer drop away rests.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to use straight fletch myself as well.....though when I was using fixed blade/replacement blade broadheads I was primarily using offset fletch. The offset fletch tends to help stabilize the arrow more so than the straight fletch but not quite as much as a helical. If I were in your situation I would try the straight fletch to see how it works for you. If it does not work out then simply take the arrows to one of the local shops in your area and have them refletched with one or two degree offset.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:22 AM

Tune with straight and shoot with as much offset or helical as your set-up will allow.

Especially if you' re going to use fixed BH' s, you' ll have to ' select' your best arrows for that purpose.

I used 5" straight fletch feathers on Beman Hunters for years with fantastic results. Now that I use a MZE, I take advantage of the drag characteristics of full helical.