Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 expandable broadhead >

expandable broadhead

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

expandable broadhead

Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM

Default expandable broadhead

i shot my expandable broadhead in the dirt. do u think it is still sharp enough to kill a deer?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: expandable broadhead

no...when shooting any game you want scaple sharp blades. slice better and give less resistance. may still feel sharp, i practice with a 3blade muzzy daily..even hit the dirt with it..still FEELs sharp and will probably cut you but not nearly as sharp as it was
Old 09-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

NO! When it comes to broadheads, use the once shot rule. Once shot they are unacceptable for hunting unless the blades are changed or resharpened to factory or better than factory sharp.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started to let the above posts stand alone as answers, as they are absolutely correct. As it sounds like you're obviously new to bowhunting, I thought I'd take just a sec to explain why...

Gun-killed deer are often killed by massive trauma andshock alone. Deer killed with archery equipment, for the most part, are killed by loss of blood. Given that, think about this: Ever cut yourself with a jagged piece of metal, maybe accidentally playing around a pile of tin or something? Bleeds for a little bit, but clots pretty quickly. Now... think about the times you've cut yourself shaving. Bleeds incessantly. Sometimes, it can be a real chore to stop the blood flow, right? Same principle.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:24 PM

Most mechanicals are not sharp enough out of the package for me. No way can you shoot them thru deer or into the dirt and not dull them. They go dull just sitting in our quiver sometimes for the little amount of friction they have with the quiver.

Paul
Old 09-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

its pretty much been said NO NO NO