Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 good expandable broadhead >

good expandable broadhead

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good expandable broadhead

Old 08-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Default good expandable broadhead

I have been shooting 100 grain field points and then switched to shooting 3 blade fixed broadhead "100 grains" and they just went eveywhere. and was wondering what the best all around dependable expandle would be. preferably with no o rings.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good expandable broadhead

If you tuned your bow properly your broadheads wouldn't fly everywhere. NAP spitfires and the Grim Reaper are the 2 best w/o O rings i think.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Before you spend more money on broadheads you don't need, don't be so fast to give up. There is a reason they "just went everywhere."
Make sure your bow is tuned properly, and the broadhead doesn't wobble on the arrow. Then you need to have enough vane to stabilize. If you are shooting very short vanes, go to longer ones, or even better, feathers. I assure you fixed blade heads will fly fine, they just need a little work.
But, if I haven't convinced you, maybe a low profile head, such as the slick trick or a Sonic head would interest you. As you can probably see, I am no advocate of mechanical heads.
If that still isn't enough, try a Tekan II, from Montec. Anything from Rocket is good as well.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:43 PM
New Sheriff

Spitfires are what I prefer.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Switching to expandables because your fixed heads "just went everywhere" is a piss poor reason to do so. Obviously something is not right with your setup. There is no reason you can't get fixed heads to fly great out of a proper setup that is well tuned. You need to have someone look at your setup and help you out(if you don't know how to tune yourself). A poorly tuned bow is still a poorly tuned bow....don't put a bandaid on the problem by buying mechanicals and calling it a day. I prefer fixed heads.....but there are some good mechanicals out there. Howeveryou still need to make sure your bow is tuned properly either way. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:41 PM

there are no "good" expanadable broadheads
Old 08-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Site Bouncer

I think many here have given you very good advise to first tune your bow. You should have no problem getting fixed broadheads to fly straight and true. That being said, after your bow is tuned and you still want to shoot an expandable broadhead, take a good look at the NAP Spitfire line. No "O" rings and they are tough as well. I have had good results with the Spitfire Pro's. I have also had good results from NAP Thunderhead fixed heads. I can shoot them interchangeably with no need to resight my bow.

I have shot both for the last few years but I will use the Spitfires only this year.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first step is getting your bow tuned properly, then finding out what your total Kinetic energy level is. Then you can decide which head, fixed or mechanical is best for your setup. if you go to my website, www.broadheadtests.com and click on the tuning page first, read through all of that and then go to the mech vs fixed page you should have enough info to make a good informed choice.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very good advice so far.
Something to think about- if your arrows are not flying near perfectly truethe fixed blades will do as you described. That same arrow with a mechanical screwed on the tip may hit the deer while it's in the middle of a porpose or wobble and the energy needed to deploy the blades will not be in line with the arrow = litte or no penetration. This is the exact recipe for disaster that has given mechanicals a bad name.
Although I do own some mechanicals, my heads of choice are fixed.
Try the slick tricks or stingers before you give up.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

had similar problems... try paper tuning, works wonders. Got eastons website and download the guide.
check out my resent post: http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1143448

Quick Reply: good expandable broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.