Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for you expandable broadhead guys >

Question for you expandable broadhead guys

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for you expandable broadhead guys

Old 06-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for you expandable broadhead guys

Im going to try shooting these this season on one of my hunting bows just to see for myself.My question is what are the benefits and drawbacks between to 2 and 3 blade? Im guessing there is no difference in flight as the blades are closed, but the 2 blade would have the potential for more cutting penetration? Wouldnt the 3 blade give you a whole lot more cutting surface once the broadhead is inside and opened up? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question for you expandable broadhead guys

Andy, I haven't used the 3 blade so I cannot comment on personal experience however after using the 2 blade Snyper since 2001 I am amazed ever season I down an animal with them at the devistation. My friend Kurt (Q2INWHITETAILS) tried the 3 blade version and we were not as impressed. It's something about how they open wider at impact and then fold back. The 3 blade design isn't the same.

I've heard the same about the Rages, if you go with them, definately the 2 blade.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

i have used 2 and 3's my two blade rages r th best thing i have ever used i know some guys dont like them cause of all of the hype byt they work awesome the entrance whole is hugei dont know if the 2 blade design allows the skin to ter more but the hole i have gotten were about 4 iches long and the exits were right at 2 inches. My three have each killed a couple of deer little cleaning and sharpening and you r good to go.
With the rear opening design you get huge blood trails unlike the front fold back.

In my opinion if you want results they are the way to go.

mc
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Diesel, I have used both and the results on deer were the same. Huge holes,massive (short) blood trails, and dead deer.

Now here's why I switched from the 3-blade to the 2-blade. If you pick up a 3-blade and play with the blades you'll notice thatsometimesthe bladescan jam up a little bit if one opens up before the others. I never experienced this when practicing or on a deer, but I didnt want to take a chance.Theres is no way the 2 blades can jam.

But like I said before they both have been devestating on deer. Out of 7 seven deer i have shot with the rage, none left my sight or even went past 50 yds. Thats results!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Rob on the Snipers. Copys are very seldom better than the originals. IMO. Having said that the only thing I notice is for some reasom the penitration is not as good with the mechanicals. Igo back and fourth alot with broadheads and have never hade a fixed blade G5 not give a pass thru. I have had shots with mechanicals that didn't pass thru. I don't think it matters though because the blood trails with the Snipers is litterally unbelieveable. Chris
Old 06-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Bartender

Andy here is a test that 5 SHOT did and was posted awhile back.
* I ended up switching to 2 blade last season and will be using them this year*
http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2311679

EDIT: The reason I like them is I had a marginal hit on a doe last year unfortunatly but that rage did its job with the bleeding aspect.

T
Old 06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Bartender

A couple good videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbX25aArqg This is why rage was basically developed based on this type of test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0 3 blade did not fair well.