Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Strongest, Toughtest and most Accurate Expandable Broadhead? >

Strongest, Toughtest and most Accurate Expandable Broadhead?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Strongest, Toughtest and most Accurate Expandable Broadhead?

Old 09-05-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Strongest, Toughtest and most Accurate Expandable Broadhead?

I came to the conclusion that it is finaly time to move to expandable blades and try them out. Today i shot my bow with my broadheads with three different heads which are muzzy 3 blade100, Thunderhead 100 and muzzy 4 blade 100's. i couldnt not get any of these to group they way i would want them to. i was getting so frustrated. So i was debating of a expadable head, but i thought and heard alot of people say some dont open on contact and some are weak. I want the accuracy i have with my field points as i would if i was hunting with a broadhead. Do you of you ahve any information on an Expandable that is Tough, Strong, opens on contackt always and is very accurate like a field point. Please i need your help, and if you have any other broadheads that you with would work for me let me know? I would really apprecate your help!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Strongest, Toughtest and most Accurate Expandable Broadhead?

I think you should get your bow tuned tuned so it will shoot those fixed bladed broadheads instead of getting the expandables. You CAN tune your bow so it WILL shoot the fixed-blades.

I was in your shoes 6 months ago thinking that they would never fly with my target points, but after a little work and listening to those that know what they're talking about, my bow will now shoot the Muzzys with extreme accuracy. AND, more importantly, the same point of impact as my field points.

Stick with it, you'll be happy with the results.

Kev
Old 09-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto.

If your arrows aren't flying straight then they aren't flying straignt. Just because a bow shoots field points ok does not meant that it is performing at its best.

Make sure that your broadheads are spinning perfect with no woble at all. If they are and you still get bad arrow flight then you need to start tuning your bow better.

Mechanicals only put a Band Aid on the symptoms rather than getting to the source and curing the illness.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Visit my website www.broadheadtests.com read through the tuning and mech vs fixed pages. it will help you decide if mechanical heads are for you. then you can read through the reviews to find which head is best suited to your setup.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the arrows aren't flying straight you will get lousy penetration--why not tinker a little bit and get it shooting good?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Also, make sure your arrows are properly spined, or the tuning will be a very frustrating experience.[:@]
Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ridge,
Glad to see you practice with broadheads. Some guys just assume they will fly the same, or don't want to bother trying to fix it if they don't.

I don't know mechanical heads because I shoot fixed blades, with fingers and feathersno less. The trick really is in spine selection and tuning. I used to get good groups with field points, and it even looked good going through paper, but a bare shaft would plane several inches at 30 yards, and miss a stack of hay bales at 40. Broadheads would be very erratic and inconsistent. Making adjustments and changing point weight helped somewhat, but I finally had to get weaker arrows. This was the key. I'm now within a few inches at 40 yards, and I'm just a tweak away from perfection. Can't wait to get them right on, and have 100% confidence on opening day. It's getting late, but you're better off getting things flying right with the points you already have.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen a vortex head fail , not to say they dont but I have not seen one break, bend, or lose a blade . I have seen them bend a blade but not a ferel .All animalsI have seen shot with them , they have oppened on contact leaveing a 2 1/2 or 2 inch entrance hole , depending on the model used , they allso make a 1 1/2 head . They are 2 blade heads . Some swear by stealheads . The only others I would consider are , snyper , gator , or grim reaper .
Old 09-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steelheads and Jak-hammers are brutal...and will take a serious beating.

But ya...I think you should work on tuning your arrows/bow/form...a mechanical is *NOT* the cure for a fixed head setupthat won't fly well...in fact, IMO, it's the opposite....mechs only should be used by those with excellent flight/tune.....out of a well tuned bow w/ sufficient energy they are extremely deadly...with apoorly tuned and/or low energybow they are a nightmare..