Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A quick bow setup how-to... >

A quick bow setup how-to...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A quick bow setup how-to...

Old 09-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A quick bow setup how-to...

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Thanks, Pat... nice to see ya on here again. Doing anything PBR-related in St. Louis this year?
It was back in Feb. and we decided to skip it since we've been there 3 years. We're doing some new ones and dropping some of the ones we've been to repeatedly.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a good thread bump...
Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Pat. You may like this one as well, as I put it in a forum which doesn't see as much traffic... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1687790&mpage=1
Old 09-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank's Greg I sure enjoyed your review .

nubo
Old 10-10-2006, 07:22 AM

A fine piece of info. I will be ordering my vise, and eze eye lazer this week. That should round out eveyting on my equip. list. I was undecided on a few items until I read this post. Thanks again Greg for tossing this one up here.

P.S. A restrainting order not necessary. LOL (It's a long story ya'll)
Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 AM

Greg, this is very good information! Thanks for posting.

One argument that I've heard against the lasers is that they assume that the outside surface of the riser is parallel to the travel of the string during a shot. Obviously this is not always the case. What real world experience have you had with this? Does it matter at all?

Thanks,
Allen
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 AM

Heard the same thing myself. I actually had a laser on order and cancelled it after I began walk back tuning. I just eyeball it now or use a (tru-gauge?) and walkback to get center. I leave the range happy and confident my centershot is set.

I think it is more of a confidence thing than anything. Before I walkback tuned centershot I always felt my bow was off unless someone used a laser on it.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

...they assume that the outside surface of the riser is parallel to the travel of the string during a shot.
Allen, I think I understand what you're saying -- but, actually, whether the riser is parallel or not has little to do with how the laser actually operates.

The riser itself serves as nothing more than a solid mounting point which remains static during the laser's operation. By adjusting the laser via the threaded rod out until the beam comes in contact with the string, you can then make sure that the laser head is pivoting "square" by running the beam itself up and down the length of your string.

Once you're satisfied that the beam is contacting the string properly while pivoting it up and down its length, it's a simple matter to nock an arrow and pivot the laser head down the entire length of the shaft to ensure the laser beam follows along the top of it. If you get the laser out to the tip of the arrow shaft and the beam is still not sitting exactly in the center of the shaft, you'll know you need to adjust your rest's centershot in or out to accomodate.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

The EZE eye lazer does work well on some bows... but doesn't work at all on others. It's not the end all be all that some people seem to think it is. I used to use it on a daily basis to set up bows... but you can do just as good of a job eyeballing the string, cams, arrow.

As far as the levels go... they work awesome.. I personally use the HTM string level

And a very similar level.. that allows you to adjust for nocking height..

This setup works very well.. and is a little more precise than the ones that just clip on the string... But they are also a bit more expensive.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Allen, I think I understand what you're saying -- but, actually, whether the riser is parallel or not has little to do with how the laser actually operates.

The riser itself serves as nothing more than a solid mounting point which remains static during the laser's operation. By adjusting the laser via the threaded rod out until the beam comes in contact with the string, you can then make sure that the laser head is pivoting "square" by running the beam itself up and down the length of your string.

Once you're satisfied that the beam is contacting the string properly while pivoting it up and down its length, it's a simple matter to nock an arrow and pivot the laser head down the entire length of the shaft to ensure the laser beam follows along the top of it. If you get the laser out to the tip of the arrow shaft and the beam is still not sitting exactly in the center of the shaft, you'll know you need to adjust your rest's centershot in or out to accomodate.
But if the riser isn't square... then the laser isn't doing a darn thing. like I said above.. I used to use this on a daily basis on literally hundreds if not thousands of bows.. and I found several bows.. where it just didn't work. And on others it seemed to work well. It's just a tool... and only as good as the person using it.. or the equipment it's being used on. I originally thought it was a great idea... but have since changed my mind...

Quick Reply: A quick bow setup how-to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.