Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 No more rippled cock vanes!! >

No more rippled cock vanes!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

No more rippled cock vanes!!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default No more rippled cock vanes!!

Good morning....

You all know I have the Reflex Highlander lefty model with the simple NAP Quiktune 1000 prong rest.... I have been allsetup, tuned, dead on accurate out to 30 yards. Magnus Stingers & Buzzcuts hitting with my field tips. BUT... for some reason I kept getting rippled cock vanes. So, I slightly turned my nocks so the vane would clearly pass through (or so I thought). I discovered it was still just barely brushing against the left side of the prong rest, but not causing a disturbance to arrow flight. So I re-read the tuning guide and read advice from this board and another site called "archery talk".

Long story short: I got it... I just, ever so carefully, ever so gently, nudged my prong rest (probably 1/16 of an inch - heck even 1/32" if that) to the left (closer to riser - remember I'm lefty). And double checked my alignment again.

I smeared vaseline on the left side of the black cutout on the NAP Quiktune 1000 where the cock vane would brush up against, and shot a test arrow at 20 yards. Yeah!No contact at all! The cock vane is clean and the vaseline is still there!

Now I just double checked my Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts with field tips and wish I could snap a photo of this.... Itore the fletching of the field tip arrow with the next Magnus Stinger Buzzcut arrow! I mean, OMG, I have never had arrows group that well before!!! [8D]

Walk back tuning results (VBG Camelback pendulum locked in sighted at 20 yards):
10 yards: top ofbullseye maybe 1" high
20 yards: dead on center bullseye (tore fletching on field tip arrow)
30 yards: bottom near center bullseye, maybe 2 1/2 or 3" low.

..and the best part - NO rippled cock vanes! I finally got the NAP Quiktune 1000 adjusted properly. It's a great rest and simple to use, but can be real touchy with vane clearance.

I really wish I could post a photo of the 6 arrows in my Block 4X4, but my wife has the digital camera and is visiting her sister this weekend. Also, perhaps the reason I was able to shoot and tune my bow so well, is it was early Saturday morning, nobody is around, it's quiet, and I'm relaxed and focused on very carefully tweaking my bow. NOW I'M SET!!!! [8D]

Butch A.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No more rippled cock vanes!!

Sounds like your ready to rock. I just bought a Reflex Highlander and I really, really like it.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:51 PM

Great feeling, ain't it? Set out to accomplish a task, and get it done!! Good job, my friend. Don't forget to post pics of that deer you take w/ her this fall!!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

butch you really make me wonder if my cock vane hits...my feathers were never.....ruffled. and my blazers are fine. i have the nocks lined so the cock vane sits center in the rest..though i know the arrows rotate in flight...how much will they rotate in that soon of time?? i may have to use the vasaline thing. i cant use powder being my cock vane and prongs are white...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Mauser... Unless you visually saw the cock vanes of your feathers get rippled or wavy, I wouldn't worry. My NAP Quiktune 1000 was just an eyelash off but yet it still didn't affect the arrow flight. My groups were good and my broadheads were hitting good with my field tips at 20 yards too.

What really caused me to double check everything was the Walk Back tune from 10, 20, and 30 yards. I took a piece of 2" wide masking tape and taped a straight line down my Block 4X4.

Here is what I found (hope nobody laughs at my method.... [:-])

{Remember everyone, I'm lefty, so reverse what I did}

FIELD TIPS
......o...... (10)
......o...... (20)
......o...... (30)

BROADHEADS (Magnus Stingers)
.....x....... (10)
......x...... (20)
.......x...... (30)

So, I was under the impression that at 20 yards (what I'm sighted in at), I am golden and all set. Broadheads and field tips were hitting exactly the same. But yet I was getting slight cock vane contact. So, I re-read the tuning guide and read all sorts of advice, and doubled checked my centershot with the walkback method with broadheads. As you can see, I was just slightly off. So, a very careful and gentle nudge of the NAP Quiktune 1000 (I mean ever-so-gentle, like, 1/32" of an inch...) in towards the riser (Lefty) and voila!Problem solved! [8D]

Butch A.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for the tips...ill have to try a walk back tune and see what i come up with. i know you use a pendulum sight, but for me using a multiple pin site would i use the same pins, or the correct pin when walking back?? do you aim at the same exzact spot as you walk back?? just curious..ive heard of the walk back tune but never read how to do it...maybe itll help me tighten broadhead groups..mine are a litttle open but good enough for hunting if i left them how they are...thanx
Old 08-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes... Use your 20 yard pin. Keep focusing on the 20 yard pin from 10 yards and also 30 yards and you'll be able to do the "walkback" tune method.

Edit: Aim at the exact center bullseye of the target with the 20 yard pin (from 10, 20, and 30 yards). That way you see clearly see the pattern:
.....o.....
.....o.....
.....o.....

Old 08-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx butch...ill give that a try next weekend when i am home(heading back to college right NOW! lol). sounds like a pretty good way of "fine tuning" your bow...i was talking to a shop owner the other day. he said he super tunes his and shoot from 60 and 70yds away and makes adjustments. you get shootin good that far away 20-30yd shots youll be splitting hairs! thanx for the info...
Old 08-27-2006, 09:39 PM

i would recomend walk-balk tuning out to 40 yards, alot more shows up at 40 yards than even 30