Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Cock feather

Old 09-12-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Cock feather

What is the significance of the cock feather and is it set up differently? I'm kinda new at this and would like to fletch some arrows. So I'm trying to find out what all this "cock feather" talk is about. I'd appreciate any input from you guys.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cock feather

The cock feather is simply a different color than the other two so that you can visually see it an nock your arrow the same way each time.

They call the single feather the cock feather and the other two are called hen feathers. Because a single cock (male bird) has multiple hens (female birds) in his "flock".
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I sure appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Spike

The cock feather originated long before the days of mechanical releases, when arrows were either shot "off the shelf", or from a shoot-around style arrow rest. The cock feather would be positioned to point away from the bow, thereby allowing greater clearance and less kick of the arrow as it passed the shelf. The hen feathers would be more forgiving because they were typically at 120 degrees relative to each other, and would pass by with less interference.

When I switched from shooting with a glove to a mechanical release, I used a "shoot through" prong style arrow rest. I would set my knocks so the cock feather pointed down, thereby allowing the feathers (vanes) to pass between the prongs and clear the rest with minimum contact.

After many years of shooting this setup, I have now switched to the newer "fall away" style rest and a cock feather is no pertinent, because the arrow rest is completely out of the way by the time the feathers reach it, and no contact is made.

One other interesting note on the cock feather positioning... If you look closely at your arrow knock, you'll see a little plastic ridge on one side of it. This ridge is normally positioned to line up with the cock feather. It is commonly used by finger shooters to be able to "feel" the position of the cock feather without ever having to look down at the arrow. If you were stalking game or had a follow up shot opportunity, you could knock an arrow without ever taking your eyes off of the game.
Happy Hunting!