Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cock vain up or down >

Cock vain up or down

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cock vain up or down

Old 09-17-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Cock vain up or down

Those who shoot with feathers. Do you shoot with the cock vain up or down ? Does it matter if you use a drop away?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:55 PM

Default RE: Cock vain up or down

If you're shooting a drop-away it shouldn't matter, no.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

If you're shooting a drop-away it shouldn't matter, no.
This is not always true. I have a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter and I have to have my cock vane down and to the left. This makes it so one of the vanes is pointing straight up. If I were to shoot them any other way the vanes would hit my rest. The feathers may not be affected by the rest though, buthaving the feathers hit the rest wouldn't do anything good for the arrows flight.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:10 PM

The whole point of shooting a drop away rest is to eliminate as much contact with the arrow as possible. If you're getting contact, especially with your vanes, I would take a look at how you've got the rest set up. You shouldn't get any contact at all.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:13 PM

The whole point of shooting a drop away rest is to eliminate as much contact with the arrow as possible. If you're getting contact, especially with your vanes, I would take a look at how you've got the rest set up. You shouldn't get any contact at all.

This is true, but I am unable to get perfect clearance on my rest without having nocks turned a certain way. If I just stuck my arrows on my string the vanes would hit my cable.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the same problem as Zak, but its not really a problem.. If I had my cock feather straight up or Straight down, I'd have clearance issues with my cables. I start out with cock vane up but rotate the nock so the vane is angled towards the riser. Its almost like my old fingers set-up for my flipper rest with the cock vane pointing left. I have no clearance problems with my drop away.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:44 PM

YOU MUST TUNE YOUR DROP IT SHOULD WORK
ORIGINAL: zak123

This is true, but I am unable to get perfect clearance on my rest without having nocks turned a certain way. If I just stuck my arrows on my string the vanes would hit my cable.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Modern bows are so fast even drop aways are having problems getting out of the way. I have to turn mine a certain way also or will get contact. But at 280 fps. that drop away needs to fly away.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:51 AM

On my old Fred Bear Whitetail II bow, which have a two prong rest, my arrows' cock vane is pointed down.

On my PSE Nitro, which have a Bodoodle Zapper 400 rest, which have three prongs (10,2 and6 o'clock positions)...my arrows' cock vane is pointed straight up.

Use whichever way that works best for you......
Old 09-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a whisker biscuit.. Mine is pointed up

Quick Reply: Cock vain up or down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.