Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 newbie questions.... >

newbie questions....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

newbie questions....

Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Default newbie questions....

ive just purchased my first bow. i chose the hoyt trykon xl. i feel that im a pretty good shot for a beginner. i spent an afternoon shooting my friends bow, for the 1st time in 15yrs., and shot very tight groups. the only worry i have about my bow is the draw weight. i dont want to sound weak, but i can very comfortably pull back 52#'s (the weight on my friends bow). my new bow is rated 60#-70#'s. the dealer set it at 55# and said it would still be ok even though its rated higher. i guess they feel that with some continuous practice before the season i will work my way up to 60??? even the 55# is a little tough right now..... anyways.... i guess my question is, did i make a good bow choice? is it ok to go with the higher weight bow and draw it down to 55# (in hopes that i will be increasing the weight soon)? or any other suggestions would be great!!!! also, would i be better off exchanging for a 50-60#?
thanks,
scott
Old 08-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: newbie questions....

id stick to the 60-70 because where you havent shot in 15 years those muscles arent as built up as what they were 15 years ago if you get where im going, you should be able to pull 60 atleast if you shoot every day by season
Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought that some bows recommend only turning the limb bolts down a few turns max. I think someone told me not to go past 3 turns on my Bowtech, perhaps Greg / MO?

Forgot to mention. Welcome to the forums bud!
Old 08-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

well who knows but you will have those muscles built up in no time and youll be pulling more weight.Great bow the trykon is, a little heavy if my memory serves me right (well heavier than others, but its a great bow) whats your dl
Old 08-12-2006, 11:51 AM

29" draw.... i too was concerned that the bow was listed at a minimum of 60#. but, my local hoyt dealer said it would be fine at 55#. he also said that i would be up to 60 or more in the next 3 to 4 weeks..... so the best choice would be to lower the poundage on the heavier bow. i think he wanted to save me from spending another 800 in the next few months!