Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Easton arrow help >

Easton arrow help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Easton arrow help

Old 05-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Easton arrow help

Easton arrow catalogue had two sections one for hunting and one for target. The size recommendations are different in the two sections for the same weight and poundage and arrow length. What is the purpose of the two different listings? Are there any draw backs or advantages for using an recommended target arrow for hunting I was shooting Easton xx75 2117 but wanted a lighter aluminum arrow so I’m looking into trying Easton xx78 2114. I am shooting a Hoyt Ultra Tec cam and ½, 27" arrow, bow weight of 55 lbs., trophy taker drop away rest. In the target program it recommends this shaft what are your thoughts
Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Easton arrow help

Target shaft are generally lighter as target shooters want to maximize speed. Hunting shafts are generally heavier to make the most out of KE and momentum. Will using target shafts have a negative impact? No, probably not, just depends on what you are going for. As long as the spine is correct, you'll be okie dokie!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I shot aluminums I always found the Hunting Chart to be on the stiff side. I always used and was successful choosing a shaft from the Target Chart. Each of us is an individual so results will vary, but the only way to find out what works for you is to try something different.

One thing that I think a lot of people overlook when choosing a shaft and computing point weight, etc, is the weight of the insert. I've always thought that this should be included as point weight, thus a shaft with a 30gr insert and 100gr tip is really pushing 130gr up front. This is the major difference between the two charts. A target shaft doesn't have an insert, but glue-in target tips.

With your bow setup and specs I see no reason why you couldn't use 2114's. In fact, you could probably even shoot a 2212 if you're looking for even more speed.

If you want even more speed and still like a bigger shaft then you could try Gold Tip 22 series shafts. Probably end up with something about 100 grains lighter than the aluminum and much more durable in the long run. And if you choose the standard Ultralight 22 you'll find there isn't much difference in price from aluminum's.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 AM

Replies by both mobowhuntr and BGfisher are right on in my opinion.