Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Defective Easton arrow?

Old 09-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Defective Easton arrow?

I just went out to shoot in my back yard. I recently bought some Easton Carbon Storm arrows and they seem pretty good. Except I just went to shoot one and it snapped in half, the front half ricocheting into a brand new fence which I know I am about to get hell about.

Needless to say I probably won't be hunting this season because of this.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Defective Easton arrow?

Ok you got a bad arrow at least nobody got hurt. I fail to see why you would catch hell for that first and second why would that keep you from hunting this year. I don't see the connection!!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 PM

My family is anti-hunting, anti-gun, and anti-most other things I enjoy doing. They've been mad at me for a while but now they have an actual reason to, so it isn't gonna get any better from here... Now I need to keep an eye on my bow and my arrows so my dad doesn't try to grab them and throw them away as he very realistically may try.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 AM

thats an awful situation. good luck, keep your witts about you and educate you family. im just glad to know that someone can grow up in a non hunting enviroment and ot share the the antihunting attitude.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Accidents happen, good thing you were not hurt. If your dad had an accident in his car could you take it away or throw it in the trash?? Just explain what happened and I agree with ncrebel8 to try and educate them. Good luck and safe shooting.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

So why do you think the arrow broke? I've never used those arrows but I use Easton Axis arrows and they are tough arrows, Easton is a good name. Was the arrow abused at some point? Hit something hard?
Is the arrow the right size and spine for your bow?
My other thought is your bow tuned properly? If your arrow broke because it was flying crooked and it hit sideways insatead of field tip first?
Breaking arrows in flight or off the bow is unusual. I've had it happen once with an aluminum arrow that was old, and abused and apparently I didn't seethe damage. It broke just off the bow and both halves stuck in to my target. It's important that you figure out why the arrow broke. If it's underspined, the rest may do the same. Go to the Easton web site and look up your arrow spine on the spine chart. Make sure your arrow spine is correct compared to your arrow length, draw weight and field point or BH wieght. If the chart shows you have the wrong spine, don't shoot the rest of the arrows, someone might get hurt. If they are the correct size and spine, then look at your bow. I'd recomend a pro shop. If you dare and can do it safely, paper tune. The Easton website has a lot of great information on Everything you need to know about arrows.
My gues isthe arrow as damaged prior to shooting it, or, it's the wrong spine or the bow is really out of tune. If its out of tune or wrong spine, no hunting till the problem is solved. If the arrow was damaged, check over the rest carefully and make sure they are all ok.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wack

So why do you think the arrow broke? I've never used those arrows but I use Easton Axis arrows and they are tough arrows, Easton is a good name. Was the arrow abused at some point? Hit something hard?
My other thought is your bow tuned properly? If your arrow broke because it was flying crooked and it hit sideways insatead of field tip first?
Breaking arrows in flight or off the bow is unusual. I've had it happen once with an aluminum arrow that was old, and abused and apparently I didn't seethe damage. It broke just off the bow and both halves stuck in to my target. It's important that you figure out why the arrow broke. If it's underspined, the rest may do the same. Go to the Easton web site and look up your arrow spine on the spine chart. Make sure your arrow spine is correct compared to your arrow length, draw weight and field point or BH wieght. If the chart shows you have the wrong spine, don't shoot the rest of the arrows, someone might get hurt. If they are the correct size and spine, then look at your bow. I'd recomend a pro shop. If you dare and can do it safely, paper tune. The Easton website has a lot of great information on Everything you need to know about arrows.
My gues isthe arrow as damaged prior to shooting it, or, it's the wrong spine or the bow is really out of tune. If its out of tune or wrong spine, no hunting till the problem is solved. If the arrow was damaged, check over the rest carefully and make sure they are all ok.

Well said!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM

Was the arrow abused at some point?
Nope, I just bought a dozen perhaps a couple weeks ago and have shot them a couple times.

Hit something hard?
Just the layered foam target thing I have, and maybe the grass/topsoil when sighting it in for longer ranges and it fell short.

They should be, since I had them measured and cut by a respectable place near my house.

I have been shooting my bow as frequently as I can and did get the rest and all aligned properly.

Breaking arrows in flight or off the bow is unusual. I've had it happen once with an aluminum arrow that was old, and abused and apparently I didn't seethe damage. It broke just off the bow and both halves stuck in to my target.
One half looks like it brushed across the top of the target (there's a line in the plastic wrapping around the foam) and slid along the ground, and the other half hit the fence (it's a hollow plastic one) and slid down into the hollow area.

It's important that you figure out why the arrow broke. If it's underspined, the rest may do the same. Go to the Easton web site and look up your arrow spine on the spine chart. Make sure your arrow spine is correct compared to your arrow length, draw weight and field point or BH wieght. If the chart shows you have the wrong spine, don't shoot the rest of the arrows, someone might get hurt. If they are the correct size and spine, then look at your bow. I'd recomend a pro shop. If you dare and can do it safely, paper tune. The Easton website has a lot of great information on Everything you need to know about arrows.
I don't see anything wrong with any of the arrows. I've never had an arrow break before so I don't know if this is normal or anything, but the arrow I shot broke in half so cleanly it looks like I could have cut it with a saw...
Old 09-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

No, it's not normal. When do you think the arrow broke? in flight? At the target?
I would call Easton tech support and see what they say. I have broken arrows by sticking them into the dirt with a rock hidden underneith but they broke right then. It's possible that it was flawed from the start. Is this one of the cheaper lines of Easton arrows?
Don't take for granted the bow shop making the right choices for you. They aren't always right, good people do make mistakes. Go to Easton website, look up your arrow length and draw weight and check. Simple piece of mind. If that checks out, call or write Easton.( I find calling gets faster results.) Ask them. Wouldn't hurt to call the bow shop and ask them also. I would paper tune just for piece of mind. I know I was uneasy shooting the next arrow after my aluminum arrow broke in mid air. I shot though paper and had bullet holes. My friend was breaking cheap carbons at the target, and it was his bow that was the culpret. Were your arrows all hitting the target square or do they stick leaning one way or the other? when you say," One half looks like it brushed across the top of the target"
wich half? Is it possible the arrow hit the target on an angle where the shaft hit the target but the tip did not? Was it windy? Sounds to me like the arrow might have been fish tailing and you hit it just right to break it. The only arrow I broke this summer glanced off the side of my target in heavy wind, went through a flower pot then broke trying to fishtail through a chain link fence.
Most of my broken carbon arrows are fairly square breaks but usually has some sort of splintering. I've used Axis arrows for the majorety of the time and yet I've got more broke cheap carbons from 1 year than 3 years with the Easton Axis shafts. Sometimes you have to spend money to save money but none last forever.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

One half looks like it brushed across the top of the target
there is the most likely cause of the problem...you hit the top edge of the target...the arrow hit at a wierd angle/ flexed causing half of it to fly into the fence.

i grazed off a shouvle once...(dont ask) just barely grazed it...i never seen a shaft in so many pieces

hit a branch once at a 3d shoot when my bow was thrown all out of whack halfway through the course...just barely hit the branch...arrow exploded...

point is, when you just barely hit something, your shaft is most likely gunna explode because the arrow flexes around what it hit...

my advice...get yourself a bunch of hay bales...build yourself a nice backstop behind your target...i like 2 wide, 2 deep and 2 high...but you can go bigger if needed...cover it with a tarp to keep the bales out of the weather and they will last a year...most farmers will sale them for a couple bucks a piece...i put mine on a couple wooden pallets i had laying around to keep off the ground. if i get a pass through on a target, or would miss..i got the hay bales back there...

i wouldnt be so quick to blame the arrows in this case...carbon dont usually explode unless damaged or not spined properly...could happen im sure...but it sounds like you graved the top of your target...

hope dad dont throw out the bow. talk him into letting you build a backstop of some sort so it dont happen again...

i heard loose hanging carpet works as well. could build a frame out of 2x4s or something...most likely get FREE carpet from carpet layers or carpet stores...hang a couple sheets from the top of the frame so they hang loosely. dont nail the sides or bottom down. arrow hits it and id guess the carpet takes most the energy from the arrow...never tried it though..i use hay bales