Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 shooting with release >

shooting with release

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting with release

Old 01-23-2006, 03:50 PM

Default shooting with release

How does shooting with a release affect your draw length or doesn't it at all?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:57 PM

Default RE: shooting with release

it shouldnt if its fitted properly!! A loop will affect it. but if your release is set at its proper length you should still be at your original draw lenth, thats why its important to purchase a release thats adjustable. not every hand and wrist is the same.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot finger style for target competition and hunting. I also have a bow setup for 3-D that I shoot with a release. There can be quite a difference in draw length depending on you anchor point, if a string loop is utilized, overdraw if any and the length of the release. From my finger tab to the Cascade rope release my draw length is 1 3/8” inch shorter. The Cascade is a rope release and my anchor is not at the back of my jaw, but under. You should pick a release you plan to shoot and measure at full draw with the bow setup to get an accurate draw length. You may feel comfortable at the same draw than again there may be longer or shorter than what you are shooting now.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

If your a finger shooter and go to a release, again depending on your anchor, you'll need to lengthen your draw. Most finger shooters bring the string to the mouth usually around the nock of the string. Most release shooters bring the string beyond and behind the mouth to the side of the face allowing for a longer draw. Of course as mentioned above, using a loop or same device shortens this