Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Papertesting a Dropaway >

Papertesting a Dropaway

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Papertesting a Dropaway

Old 12-18-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Papertesting a Dropaway

I just bought a new bow and am putting a NAP Drop Away rest on the bow. I heard somewhere that you do not have to papertest a drop away once you center the arrow. I sthat correct or do you still need to papertest it? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Papertesting a Dropaway

How do you know if the arrow is centered if you don't papertest? I know you can get it really close but I would still paper test. I bought a Nap quicktune 2000 and still had to papertest it to get it 'just right.' Good luck
Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard that before also, but I still paper test to make sure that the arrow is coming off the bow straight (from about 5 feet). This will get you close to tuning your bow. But you also need to check the tension of the drop away. The arrow should be in contact with the rest between about 4-6 inches, but it also has to drop away fast enough to clear the fletchings. I prefer about 5, but I also shoot a bit longer arrows (not that I shoo a compound much anymore).
Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 AM

I don't paper test any rest, I don't see the point if I am just going to move to different tuning method and adjust the rest again. I normally don't have anytrouble getting decent arrow flight eyeballing my intitial set ups. Then I tune from there.

Paul
Old 12-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being a little more precise, you don't paper tune a rest. You paper tune the arrow as it is leaving the bow. The rest has nothing to do with it. How can it? It just dropped out of the way, you hope.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't paper test any rest, I don't see the point if I am just going to move to different tuning method and adjust the rest again. I normally don't have anytrouble getting decent arrow flight eyeballing my intitial set ups. Then I tune from there.

Paul
Ditto on what Paul said.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Paul
Ditto !
Old 12-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I group tune with bare shafts. Once they hit together, I call it good. I start in close and finish at about 20 yards. Takes about 15-20 minutes.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I paper tuned my QT 2000 dropaway. It turned out to be close to dead on from the get go. Paper tuning helped me get it perfect.