Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does your dropaway...? >

Does your dropaway...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does your dropaway...?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Does your dropaway...?

Does your dropaway...

1) ...make contact with the riser shelf? (or insulating material)
2) ...make a noise at the end of the fall away?

Here's my situation. I bought a ripcord yesterday and I'm thinking about returning it and getting something else. I don't know if the combination of my bow and that rest just don't work together but I'm not happy with it. I don't like that the rest has to come in contact with the shelf. I would like my fall away to contact nothing, therefore not making sound at contact...if that is even possible. Also my rest, after completing the fall away, makes a slapping sound regardless if it is in contact with the riser. I would like my rest to have a silent or next to silent drop. A bonus for me would be full capture. I have my eye on a few like the QAD and the Trophy Taker FC, but I'm open to hearing some other options that aren't full capture.
Do any of you have a fall away that meets these criteria? No contact, no sound, possibly full capture? If so what are they?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Does your dropaway...?

The only oneI know of is the Muzzy zero effect. It falls, actually gets pushed, behind the shelf.

Aside from this one they are all going to contact something. Be it internal or the shelf or its own shelf. Something has to stop the prongs from moving. Other wise the prongs will just keep going around until they loose all spring tension that makes them fall away in the first place.

Ihonestly don't know why you don't just put some silencing material on the shelf and be done with it?????? The ripcord is an excelent rest that is built to take a lot of abuse and still perform like it is suppose to.

Having said thisI use the trophy taker FC and it is very very quiet but it does stop against the mottom of hte "hood" on a little rubber button. I think that the RC and TT are on par with each other with being excelent rests.

The QAD is going to do exactly the same thing that the RC is doing.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Well, I can tell you that the Zero Effect makes no contact whatsoever with the shelf. Its not even close to making contact.One would need not worry about their arrow falling off this rest either with that hook arm.However, In my experiences I found this rest to be real finicky and difficult to tune. It was possible but took more time than I desired.

I just bought the Limb Driver and I feel safe in saying that it is the best rest I've ever used. I have mine resting over my shelf but it is about 1/8th " above the shelf. When it "drops" it drops to that position and does not hit the shelf. Also, it is the easiest rest to tune that I've ever owned. Another good thing is that it is not connected to your cables. So you don't have to worry about throwing your timing off either. Very well built rest.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

the G5 expert 2 drop away has no shelf contact and falls behind the shelf is the easiest to tune in an looks great at least check it out before making a decision it makes no noise http://g5outdoors.com/#sec_expertII
Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 PM

I've used the QAD Hunter rest ($50) on both of my bows, and I'veNEVER had any shelf contact. You adjust the prongs to where they are parallel with your shelf. The rest is SUPER quiet. The only noise you will ever hear is the arrow sliding on thebare prongs. If you use the provided felt, thenyou will hear nothing at all. It isGREAT. Give it a try.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a rip cord

mine is quiet and i dont care if it hits the riser.....i can shoot very accurate with it
Old 04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

I use a TT and it makes contact with the riser, so I bought a sims drop pad end of problem.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My limbdriver set on the riser and i have a sims pad and it is very quiet. I would try one of those pads before i get a new rest.