Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dropaway or WB

Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Default dropaway or WB

Right now i have a drop away and i was wandering if it is worth the $35-$50 to go get a whiskerbiscut

what do you think
Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: dropaway or WB

Here's my opinion.......

It would be similar to purchasing a Rolex and having it bronzed.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said GMMAT.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 AM

I have shot w/a fall away for years. I was at a proshop last week, & shot the owner's bow, which had a WB on it. The arrows had a flat trajectory in a 20yd range. The owner recommended it for hunting, & a fall away for 3-D shoots. I bought a Bowtech Tribute that day & had put a WB on it. I shot about 20 arrrows & 2 tell u the truth, I could not even see the arrows go down range, they were shooting just as flat as my fall away. The one advantage of the WB is that it you don't have to worry about your arrow falling off. Disadvantage is that you may lose a little speed w/the vanes going thru. Obviously due to friction from contact. I did not notice any obvious noise when shooting. I also had a friend listen while I shot, & he didn't hear anything either. Now whether a deer hears it or not, is anyone's guess. I guess it falls onto what is your primary purpose for the bow hunting/leagues. There is a thread here somewhere that recommended using Blazer Vanes w/a WB, which I have heard the same from 2 proshop owners. This is the combo that the proshop owner, I was at, shoots himself for hunting. That is what I went with, & am very happy w/the combo. Some have said that using larger vanes w/the WB tears them up, which is why the Blazers work better. Not only are the smaller, but they seem a thicker, & are supposed to help plane out broadheads better. I guess go to a shop & have them put one on & try it out. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

The ONLY advantage I could imagine the WB claiming .....was full arrow containment. I bought a QAD Ultra Rest.....and now I have the best of both worlds.....and none of the noise.

That's been my experience....and I've owned them both.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The ONLY advantage I could imagine the WB claiming .....was full arrow containment. I bought a QAD Ultra Rest.....and now I have the best of both worlds.....and none of the noise.

That's been my experience....and I've owned them both.
did the same thing as our buddy jeff... (went from WB to QAD) Probably the best change i ever made...Not to mention the extra 6-8 fps you'll get... and more consistent accuracy.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:05 AM

I have owned both and they only difference i really noticed was w/ the drop away their is less noise when i draw....both are very well made rests but drop aways seem to be quieter
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Spike

i also have a QAD ultar rest hunter and love it...i would never go back to the WB...just my 2 cents
Old 01-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

QAD Ultra Rest LD here also... Love it.. ditched my wb for it
Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to bite my lip on this one but what the heck.

I think dropaway restsare the biggestscenario of "snake oil" this industry has seen for quite some time.

First of all for hunting, any fixed position full containment rest in my opinion is going to be more durable than any drop away mechanical rest. Less moving parts is always better in the woods..........K.I.S.S. Second a spring steel type rest for target specific purposes is going to so much more consistent and are extremely forgiving. Unless your blade is bent or broken, there are noproblems. Especially with cable driven drop aways, what happens when your strings creep a bit? How does this affect timing of your rest? Does it still hit the full up position then? What if your the dropaway knot on the down cable slips somehow when your in a tournament or in the woods drawing on a big deer?

How many of you shoot your bow from the same spot in the valley every time? I bet you all think you do, but honestly this is probably one of the biggest problems most shooters have with consistency, even when under ideal shooting conditions indoors. Add in variables such as weird shot angles, downhill shots, and other scenarios where you have to use less than ideal form I think a lot of you would be surprised at where your cam is in relation to the "full draw" position when the shot is executed. This is one of the easiest things to mess up in a shot sequence, even with a draw stop peg. I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that 99.9% of the shooters here (myself included) if on video through their shot sequence with the camera focused close up on the cam at full draw, or the arrow on the rest, you will see movement in the valley throughout the shot sequence, and actual shot execution happening at different places in the valley. What does this do to your dropaway that doesn't hit the full upright position until you hit the draw stop?

These are the reasons I like a fixed position rest for everything, full containment for hunting (I now have a biscuit on my bengal) and a spring steel 1 hole TT on my target bow. The accessory manufacturers have done a good job making the public feel a drop away is a better rest and more forgiving, but in reality I still don't see any advantage whatsoever.Sometimes people need to change equipment and feel they found something that makes them shoot better but in reality the problems they face is with their consistency as a shooter. I feel a whisker biscuit or other fixed position full containment type rests are a scape goat for peoples shooting mistakes. The limb driven style rests such as the limb driver, etc are better, but they are still a drop away with moving parts and a long cord to get caught up and tangled while in the woods.

So how many of you have taken video of what your rest is doing during your shot sequence? How many of you have seen your drop away move at full draw? I have............that's why I don't shoot them anymore.

In short, for your hunting bow I would not have a drop away. I would have a biscuit.

Quick Reply: dropaway or WB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.