Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about my fletching >

Question about my fletching

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about my fletching

Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Question about my fletching

The other day I went into the archery shop to buy more arrows. I showed him what I had and he had what I needed. After looking at the arrows the fletching was smaller than what I had. The Tech guy said that it would make no difference in my tune or the way my bow is currently sited. Well, I took his word and unfortunatly I didn't shoot my bow between then and this weekend when I drew on a doe. Right before I went to the shop I had just killed five hogs up to forty yards, so the bow was on. Another thing I noticed is that the fletching had a right helical twist to it. The fletch that I normally put in the down position did not sit well in the rest. Is this supposed to be like this? I have never used a fletching with a helical so I am not sure how it is supposed to sit on the rest. To make a long story shorter,I missed a doe at 30 yards which surprised me. I will be shooting soon but had these few questions before I shoot. If I left out any important information let me know and I will post more.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about my fletching

What rest are you using on the bow? Do the new fletchings have any marks on them from hitting the rest?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:11 PM

I will have to look at my bow when I get home to tell you what type of rest it is....like I said, I only shot the bow once since the new arrows and that arrow is lost.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Hi there, I would not have accepted the arrows if they were not what you wanted or asked for. As for the shop giving you something other than what you wanted, well I would not go back. As for shooting helical vs. straight fletch. Helical is better.The problem you are probably having is that your fletching is hitting your rest. You must be 100% sure that your fletching will clear cleanly. Check your arrows and see if your knocks can be turned.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you were into archery at all you'd know what kind of rest is on your bow, what kind of arrows and what type of fletching is on your arrows. In fact you should know almost every detail about this stuff instead of blaming others for mistakes that may or may not have been their fault. You get your arrows refletched and requested what? If you don't know how is the shop supposed to know?

Now if you made a specific request then I'm just full of apologies. But you should know this stuff. And the other mistake is not shooting the arrows before hunting with them. I would NEVER hunt with an arrow that I haven't practiced with.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:51 AM

I would NEVER hunt with an arrow that I haven't practiced with.
Exactly! I shoot each arrow with the exact broadhead that will be used on it. I then number the arrows in order of best flight. I know how each arrow flies before I ever shoot it at an animal. If you hunt long enough, you'll realize that arrows in a dozen, can fly quite differently from each other, and that fletching can make a significant difference.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 AM

BG Fisher,

First of all you are right....I am not into bow hunting like gun hunting but then again, I never said that I was. I bow hunt twice a year. I had everything I needed for five years until I started bow hunting again. I did not have arrows refletched as you put it but you know so much. Read the post again and get your story straight. I brought an arrow in which was an Easton A/C/C 370 straight fletched and asked for exactly what I had and he gave me different. Even being semi retarded as you think I had enough wit to ask him why he gave me different than I had. He told me that it would not change my shooting at all.

As far as not shooting....I Already told you guys that I made the mistake but that is in the past. As far as apologies....just because you put an apology out there does not mean it is accepted. I don't remember asking for someone to tell me that I am not a master bow hunter like you or tell me what else I am doing wrong. I certainly did not ask for some pre madonna prick to come drag me through the mud and then not give me any helpful information to fix the problem that I am having.

When I joined this forum it was a great forum...any question you asked no matter how stupid would be answered in a helpful way. Now there is nothing but you know it all priks that think they are god's gift to hunting.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

I guess thats why some people get discouraged and never ask questions again,I thought thats what this forum was for, to ask questions and get answers,i guess not all members need help here but remember before we all learn our sports we need to start just like everyone else NOT KNOWING A DAMN THING.