Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching question >

Fletching question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching question

Old 02-02-2008, 12:35 PM

Default Fletching question

I have about 4 arrows that I shoot at the range all the time. 2 of my arrows have fletchings that a little dinged up, one actually has a divot in it flight doesn't seem to be affected. should I just keep shooting them and refletch closer to next season or should I refletch now?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fletching question

If they continue to group well, hit were you aim, by all means keep shooting them. Refletch them when you get a chance. Simple as that but I'm not sure I would want them too damaged at the moment of truth both in 3D comps or hunting.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Fletching question as well:

Obviously speed would be the advantage but is there adisadvantage going with smaller fletching arrows?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not shoot any arrow that had a divot or any other damage to the shaft.

If it's the fletching only no big deal

Dan
Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

If it is plastic you will probably want to change it before you hunt with it, plastic tends to be affected more by rips and sometimes flap around and get real noisy. If you shoot feathers then I wouldn't worry about it at all, it shouldn't effect your flight in the slightest and wont make any noise...part of the reason why I only shoot feathers
Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 AM

I had a "flapper" on one of my vanes sounded like a mad bumble bee so I took some scissors and cut it out, not the whole vane just the flap,flight wasn't affected and it is a lot quieter!
ORIGINAL: gmil6184

If it is plastic you will probably want to change it before you hunt with it, plastic tends to be affected more by rips and sometimes flap around and get real noisy. If you shoot feathers then I wouldn't worry about it at all, it shouldn't effect your flight in the slightest and wont make any noise...part of the reason why I only shoot feathers
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM

I am a firm believer, that whenever possible, archers should shoot as close to their hunting setup as possible as often as possible.

So, if I have a vane that is all marked up or even cut in the least bit way, off it goes and a new one goes on.

Does this get expensive? Certainly not. I might have to replace 6 or 7 blazers a year = <$3. And trust me, I shoot a lot.

If you are at the range to practice for the upcoming season then why use equipment in a condition that you would never hunt with?

Just my $0.02.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:08 PM

I shoot a lot too, guess I need to learn how to refletch my own, the shop charges bout' $2.50 an arrow doesn't seem like much but it can add up quick.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you need more arrows and a bitzenburger. I have about 18 good practice arrows and then I have a select 6 hunting arrows that are just used for hunting having been fine tuned.
Even though the fletchings may be fraid and may not noticiably effect arrow flight it will make more noise in flight. Not too good. As someone esle said, disgard any dinged arrow.

Bobby
Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Veins versus feathers:
If I am going to shoot veins, I would use 2" blazers, but the 4" feathers look so much better (2 black and 1 barred red). I currently shoot Carbon Express Maxima 350s at 8.9 gpi with 160 gr Simmons Shark Broadheads. Obviously, the broadhead is very large and I would like to cut weight wherever possible. How much of a difference is there between 4" feathers and 2" veins?