Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fletching question >

fletching question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching question

Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default fletching question

I searched for the answer to this as I am sure it has been discussed ad naseum, but I could not seem to hit on the right search phrase.

Anyway, I want to start fletching my own arrows. I use a WB rest and currently shoot 4" vanes with a right offset (these were set up by the pro-shop I bought the bow at). I would like to experiment with 2" Blazers as I have been reading they work better with the WB. What I was wondering is if I should use the same offset I am using with the 4", or use helical? Specifically, I am looking for the best setup to use with the WB. I haven't had any problems with the 4" and the WB, but would like to try something new.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: fletching question

Because of the short length of the blazers, the helical will not end up being that much on a blazer. I don't think you will have a problem. What I would recommend is getting a few blazer vanes and giving them a try. Your shop might be willing to sell you just a few to expirament with, or there are some places that will sell them individually such as eaglearchery.com
If they don't want to sell you a few, ask them to fletch just 2 or 3 for you, so that you can give them a try.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I recenlty started using Blazers as well. After gluing a few on, it appeared to me that there was no helix at all. I read on Bohning's site that too much spin was a bad thing.... On the other hand, not enough is a bad thing as well. I'm wondering if you have a fletching jig that works well for Blazers?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

I have used the Blazers for the last 3 years. I put as much helical on them as I can get while keeping the spine in full contact with the arrow shaft.
Granted it does not seem like that much helical, but for me it seems to make a difference.

I use a Bitzenberger with a right helical clamp.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Redline!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Redline,

Do you use a Whisker Bisquit?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I don't but my buddy who shoots the same fletching does and has no issues.

I actually prefer the VaporTrail Limb Driver
Old 04-04-2007, 08:05 AM

DON'T FORGET THAT BLAZERS AR A LOT HEAVYER THAN FEATHERS OR 4" VANES
Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Blazers are not heavier than a standard 4" vane

Here is how the weights stack up.

4" Feather : 3.5gr
Blazer : 6gr
4" Vane: 10gr

So for a standard 3 fletch arrow a blazer fletching would be 7.5gr heavier than feathers and 12gr lighter than regular 4" vanes.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

I used blazers on nitro stinger arrows at 29 inches with 100 gr. steelforce heads and they flew like darts. With pretty much just offset fletching not enough to do helical as ws stated......good luck

Quick Reply: fletching question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.