Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Back tension release >

Back tension release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back tension release

Old 06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back tension release

I consistently shoot tight groups, and have shot for almost 30 years.

However, I'm intrigued to know more about the pros/cons of shooting with a back tension release...

I know you all can tell me more...please?![8D]
Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Back tension release

Yesterday I recieved the book "Core Archery" by Larry Wise. It goes into much detail, but the biggest advantage to BT that I can tell is it's repeatability. I've been trying to get my TruFire caliper to fire, but it just doesn't seem to work very well. I've been looking at BTR's as well, and will cetainly be pursuing it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

When target archery and 3D I shoot all releases with back tension including pointer finger calipers. It's all in the position of your finger and applying back tension. Don't use your finger tip, shorten your release to a point you can put bend your finger over it at your large knuckle/joint and if you know how, apply back tension.

Same goes for thumb releases, don't use the tip of your finger, again, same with pinky.

If I'm not shooting my caliper I use a Carter Hole in the Thing which can change from thumb to pinky by screwing in or out allen screws. I usually use it with the pinky release but I never trigger by moving my pinky, it's about applying back tension and rotating the release the same as a Stans or what many refer to as a true BT release.

I wish I had a link where you could read up on this technique. Your shooting, especially dot and 3D would improve immensly.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:25 PM

Here's the link to a thread I posted a couple weeks ago regarding this topic. Couple of good reads there.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1550403
Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Site Buck Guru

The whole point of shooting with back tension is to keep your mind on aiming until the shot goes off. Keeping your mind in front not in back ( triggering ). It is to help prevent you from anticipating the shot which can be detrimental to accuracy. Anticipating leads to peeking and punching the trigger. IMO, it is the only way to shoot a release. Remember that all releases cannot be shot with back tension, mostly the glove type such as the winn freeflight because the whole thing is strapped to your hand. There isn't enough play for you to hook and pull like a wrist strap caliper release. Although I've always shot Stans and carters, I've taught my students with calipers, to hook their finger deep over the trigger at least up to the first knuckle or further on the trigger.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Remember that all releases cannot be shot with back tension, mostly the glove type such as the winn freeflight because the whole thing is strapped to your hand. There isn't enough play for you to hook and pull like a wrist strap caliper release.
Good point Greg, forgot about that style of release. And I totally agree with what your saying about hooking your finger over the release....good post.