Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best Vanes?

Old 09-13-2005, 06:58 AM

Default RE: Best Vanes?

Don't be a hater - only use blazers.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nubo;
When I was testing the various vanes for the noise level I did it by having someone else shoot the arrows while I stood 18 yards ahead of them and off to the side.. and listen to the arrows wize by with my eyes closed so I wasnt aware of which vane they were shooting., I know its a very low tec way of testing but it worked for me[8D]
I spoke with Jim ( one of the partners that owns VaneTec )at VaneTec yesterday.... he was the previous owner of Duravanes and when I explained the issue of the New Stiffer Duravanes warping in the jig ( the same jig was used to fletch all my arrows and dosent warp any other vanes ) Jim said he has heard of this warping problem from many others.
Jim also told me that many archers have been using the VaneTec 3 inch SuperSpine 3D Vanes with their Broadheads and getting the best results.... so he is sending me some of them to try along with some of their Hunting Vanes.... and they are currently working ondeveloping a Flo Pink Vane , but it will take a while since he explained to me that with the vane material they are working with Flo Pink is a very unstabe color and the hardest one to develop...that just when you think you have got the color right it fades... so they are still in the developing process... but he is confident they will be sucessful with the Flo Pink in the end.
Watch the stiffer vanes such as VaneTec shot at slowspeed right out of the bow and they dont lay down imediately at the shot as the more flexable vanes will ... the stiffer vane staying up will cause the arrow to start spinningsooner which creates more oscilations for the arrow which equals better stearage of the arrow.... which will equal a more accurate flying arrow...and will allow you to shoot a shorter vane( such as a 3 inch verses a 4 inch vane )with increased accuracy
You can contact VaneTec if you like and they will send you some free samples to play with... or if you want I can send you some to try also.
Deb

" Blue Ridge Backwoods "
.....Everything Your Hunting For......
Monticello Illinois
Old 09-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are my recent results, take them for what they are worth to you. I had been shooting Blazers, but they were the homemade version made by cutting down 4" Bohning vanes. Last year and this, arrows fletched with these vanes shot well with broadheads out to 40 yards, the longest distance I tried to shoot them. I don't care much for the way that Bohning vanes stick (or don't stick) to arrows. I have more trouble with the Bohning than with any other vane. The "treatment" they put on the base does not seem to help adhesion, even with thier own Quantum fletch cement. I decided to try Vanetecs, and thought I would use the 2.5", with 4 fletch. As Dave C. mentioned, they are lower in profile than the Blazers, and also lower than Vanetec's 3" vanes. I was shooting these arrows from a single cam bow (probably with some nock travel) and a Whisker biscuit rest. I could not tune out a dipping, diving broadhead flight with these vanes. With this bow, I did get acceptable accuracy with the 3" vanetecs (slightly higher profile in the back) and with Blazers at 20 yards. At 30, I would call it marginally acceptable with the 3" VT and Blazers, with a slight edge to the Blazers. Since I had already fletched 6 arrows with the 2.5" Vanetecs, and feared that I would have to strip and refletch them all, I shot them out of my well tuned Darton just to check. The same arrows that were giving me fits with the other bow now showed very good flight and accuracy out to 40 yds. Seems to me that the 2.5" Vanetec might be a decent alternative to Blazers, but the 3" is more likely to give better control with BHs. Further testing with my Champion bow (+ Whisker Biscuit) shows that the 2.5" 4 fletch gave good flight and accuracy with that one too. I have decided to go with a little margin for error, and fletch all hunting arrows with 4-3" Vanetecs. Blazers would be fine too, in terms of flight and accuracy. They do make a bit more noise when shot through the Biscuit. I don't really hear much noise in flight. If they had the nicer vane base and better sticking qualities of the Vanetec, I would resume using Blazers probably. I'm getting plenty of control and accuracy with the 3" Vanetecs, along with an easier fletching process, and vanes that reliably stay where I glue them.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

I am getting 6 with blazers and 6 with feathers and I am going to see which stoots best. I will post my findings.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:07 PM

blazers i owe it all to them
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried MANY different brands of vanes and compared most side by side, the Bohning BLAZERS are the ones I'll be hunting with this season. A truly GREAT product. You've got to try 'em.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

JoePA, the 3"Vane techs your using, are they the super spine or V-max's?

I agree blazers are great, but that doesn't mean there can't be something better.

The lower profile of the vanetech's allow for easier vane clearance while still providing a stiff, lighter and smaller overall vane than the traditional soft plastics.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using the V-Max, Dave.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:41 PM

BLAZERS SAYS IT ALL!

Old 09-18-2005, 09:59 PM

Well look at it from all points . Feathers are noisy and when wet they laydown and you cant hit crap with them yet they are more forgiving in other areas they are more stable with broadheads. I have tried them all as I own a small bow shop. I have found that the NAP Quick Spins are very accurate but shoot a few for your self and make your own choice.