Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tree Steps

Old 08-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Tree Steps

There is this tree in the spot I plan on hunting with a thick base. The base is probably 30" diameter, which tapers off to about 12" about ten feet up. I am lookingto buya few tree steps to help me in my quest. I have heard of two different types of steps: The ones that screw in the tree, and the ones that strap on. Whichsteps should I get? Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tree Steps

For climbing I use a large lag bolts that are painted black. When I hang the stand I bring along my cordless drill and a socket to fit for easy instilation. The bolts are cheep and you can get them in various lengths. They will drill further into a tree than the commercially bought foot pegs and you can angle them up for good footing. My hunting partner uses the bolts, but puts grit tape on the shafts for better footing. Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me the choice depends on where you're hunting, who else is hunting there, how long you plan on leaving the stand in place, landowner preference, and personal preference.

For years and years I used nothing but Ameristep screw-ins and never had a since problem with them. Last year the landowner of my lease didn't allow screw-in steps so I bought some cheapo climbing sticks. They were heavy, noisey, and a pain in the butt to put up. I ended up picking up a set of Lone Wolf sticks about halfway through the season and was amazed at how light, quiet, and easy to put up they are. However, they are a tad bit on the pricey side - especially if you're going to hang mutiple sets.

I still rely on my old Ameristep screw-ins to get me by with the majority of my sets, but I do have several in high-pressure areas that I'm concerned about getting stolen so I use the removable sticks and leave my stand in the tree. It's worked so far.

Also, having a set of easily portable sticks and an extra hang-on stand is a great when you want to move quickly and quietly into a new area based on deer movement that you've seen from another set. Screwing in steps takes a lot of time, and you definitely work up a sweat doing it. I can get up a tree with a set of Lone Wolf sticks and hang a stand in a matter of 5-10 minutes and be ready to hunt.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 PM

Oh no, I meant to post this in the bowhunting forum. Could someone please move it? Thanks

I am using a climber. I am leaning toward the strap on steps because I can move them if I find a better spot. What do you guys think?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used them as my first 4 - 6 steps then the screw ins. This way I can take them with me. I also like the feel of steel under me rather than some web strap and plastic rung.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just purchasedsome lag bolt stepsat a deer expo several weeks agoand like them so far. I'm hoping I can combine these and my Cranford EZ steps and make my stands a little more secure. The drill bit works well whether you use it in a cordless drill or by hand and the step bolts are very sturdy. The linemans belt also makes installing steps and stands a breeze.

http://www.woodyhunting.com/Drill.html

http://www.woodyhunting.com/Bolts.html

http://www.woodyhunting.com/Belt.htm
Old 08-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always used ameristep screw ins with no problems. I remove them sometimes multiple times within a season as well to prevent others from climbing up into the stand. They take up less room in my pack than strap ons, and are usually much cheaper. When I have 5-8 stands put up in a year and I have to buy steps for all of them, the screw ins meet my budget better and get the job done.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Just personal opinion of course but I don't think you can find a better, safer, and stronger screw in tree step than those made by Cranford. I use the rod steps and will not use nothing else as far as tree steps.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

like the screw in type from ameri step. the longer version. all screw ins tend to have an attitude to them at times, but go in to the tree in time. I do not like the strap type steps. too much like work, especially if you have a large tree you need to get around. you can use one hand on the screw in steps while holding the tree with the other, or maybe on your safety harness.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like the screw in steps. I can take all of them out, get my stand down, and put them in another tree is 15 - 20 minutes.