Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Steps?

Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tree Steps?

What do you all think of tree steps? Do they hurt the tree? IF you dont use steps, what do you use? In your opinion, what is the best tree step on the market today?

Thanks for the info ahead of time!
Willie
Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Steps?

i use them, i dont think they hurt the tree to bad, and any tree step is pretty good
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tree steps are great...and they dont hurt the tree enought to worry about it. I usually use Ameristep screw ins

If no treestpes, then go with the LoneWolf Climbing Sticks
Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

I tried tree steps, but they were way too much like work and I have a tendancy to sweat a lot, which isn't good when I'm hunting. They can also clank together as you walk. If you're going to use steps, then I would suggest Cranford steps, both from my limited experience with them and from what I've heard on this forum. They are razor sharp and made in the USA.

I now like my Lone Wolf climbing sticks best. They are 30" long each, with 3 steps that can pivot to be either right or left steps, pivoting "grabbers" and a strap that can be use right- or left-handed,all of which make using the sticks on different "tree situations" easier. They don't interlock for climbing, which also make them easier to use,but they do interlock for carrying, which is nice for ease and quietness of transport. They weigh 2.5 lbs each, so getting 15'-18' up takes about 10 lbs., and they are VERY sturdy (made in the USA!).

Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

After almost losing one of my fingers and my life I started using climbing sticks 100 times more safe. Steps can get pretty slick with out warning.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 PM

I've switched from the screw in steps to the climbing sticks. I agree with WI bow huntr, much safer and easier to use. It takes 1/4 the time and effort to put up sticks than screw in steps.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys!
Please keep 'em coming!!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the strap-on Buck Steps from Summit and I like how easy they are to hang and use.If the tree has a twist in it or you want to slowly make your way around the tree you can off-set the Buck Steps as you go up the tree and it is easier to mount a hang on stand,they don't damage the tree's and you have a good flat step to use for climbing!I just wish they would have put camo colored straps on them instead of the black ones!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a mix of Screw in and Lone Wolf climbing sticks, those things are awesome.

Shane