Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New Bow Hunter Here?? >

New Bow Hunter Here??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Bow Hunter Here??

Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 PM

Default New Bow Hunter Here??

I'm going to start practicing with my bow a little but I got a problem.I found this probelm a couple of years ago and I set the bow down and I'm just now getting around to picking it up again.
My problem is withthe hand that I pull the bow string back with.I'm right handed but for some reason I cannot pull the bow back with my right hand.It just does'nt seem comfortable either.I can use my left hand and pull it back fairly easy and it feels like it's the way i'm supposed to,like i'm a lefty.I've had my right colar-bone broke twice so thats my only guess for the reason.Maybe you guys know of a different reason,not sure, but from what i've been told though is that if your right handed your right eye dominant,and I need to use my right arm.My bow is set as low as it can go and I still can't get it,so I guess I need to have the cams changed.I have the cams but was wondering how you change them.Do I have to take it somewhere and have it done or something?
Sorry for such a strange question.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Bow Hunter Here??

Hi there, WOW. To be truthful I will start with the eye dominance part. You can be right handed and left eye dominate, which I am, and I shoot right handed because I have taught myself to shoot with my right eye.You need to detirmine what your eye dominancy is and go from there. Now, on the reason you are having trouble with drawing your bow. It could be the fact that since you have seriously injured your collar bone, it has also done damage to the muscles in the same area. You should have the poundage dropped on your bow until you can comfortably draw it back and gradually work your way back up. If after you check your eye dominance, you may find that you are left eye dominate. If you are, go to a pro shop, or find someone with a left handed bow and shoot it. That may be the answer. If not then work your way back to full strength that you can shoot.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the post.How do I tell which eye is dominant?
Thanks again,
JE
Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 PM

take a camera and take your mom's picture.

before you let down the camera , see which eye you are using to take the picture, that will be your dominate eye..
Old 08-20-2005, 03:00 PM

I took my bow to a bow shop and they said for starters the bow string is too long.They said it's a 30" pull and I need more like a 27"-27 1/2" pull.They tried to reduce it as much as they could but they said on this bow you can't get it any shorter.Guess i'll sell it and buy another.Crossbow is legal now so maybe i'll buy one of those instead of a bow.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Take your finger and point at the wall with both eyes open. Then, close your right eye. If your finger appears to move, then you are right eye dominant.
If you find that you are indeed a leftie shooter and right eye dominant, no problem, put a patch over your right eye for a while.
I am just guessing here, but shoot the way you are comfortable. If rightie don't feel right, and leftie does, go for it.