HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tree Steps
Thread: Tree Steps
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Justin
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Steps

To me the choice depends on where you're hunting, who else is hunting there, how long you plan on leaving the stand in place, landowner preference, and personal preference.

For years and years I used nothing but Ameristep screw-ins and never had a since problem with them. Last year the landowner of my lease didn't allow screw-in steps so I bought some cheapo climbing sticks. They were heavy, noisey, and a pain in the butt to put up. I ended up picking up a set of Lone Wolf sticks about halfway through the season and was amazed at how light, quiet, and easy to put up they are. However, they are a tad bit on the pricey side - especially if you're going to hang mutiple sets.

I still rely on my old Ameristep screw-ins to get me by with the majority of my sets, but I do have several in high-pressure areas that I'm concerned about getting stolen so I use the removable sticks and leave my stand in the tree. It's worked so far.

Also, having a set of easily portable sticks and an extra hang-on stand is a great when you want to move quickly and quietly into a new area based on deer movement that you've seen from another set. Screwing in steps takes a lot of time, and you definitely work up a sweat doing it. I can get up a tree with a set of Lone Wolf sticks and hang a stand in a matter of 5-10 minutes and be ready to hunt.