Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching question for dropaway rests >

Fletching question for dropaway rests

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching question for dropaway rests

Old 08-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fletching question for dropaway rests

Just wanted some opinions on arrow fletchings before I just start randomly trying different options.

fyi...60# mathews q2, trophy taker drop away rest, gold tip 5575, 5" feathers, 100gr muzzy 3-blade

I'm wondering what type of fletchings might work best. I read an article this weekend that talked about the move toward drop aways and how stiffer feathers would work better. I thought it said that most feathers in the past were softer because they recovered better if they hit one of your prongs on the way out. Makes sense to me but, I could be wrong though.

Also, would it be better to go with a helical off set?

Although I've been bowhunting for 9 years now, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to arrow tuning. I 'spose it's time I start learning this stuff.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Fletching question for dropaway rests

When using a drop away, you can get away with just about any fletching choice you want.

You could stick with the 5" feathers, they will certainly do the job. Or you could try some of the new vanes on the market, such as blazers or quick spins. Its all up to you really.

My personal preferance is 4" left wing feathers. Fletched with a decent left helical setting. They stabilize regular sized fixed blade broadheads really well, are quiet,lightweight,and durable. Plus I just love feathers!

You have to look at the pro's and cons of feathers and vanes, and decide for yourself. There isnt going to be one clear winner here!

Hope that helps, have a good one---Matt
Old 08-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot a muzzy zero effects and a quick tune 4000. I have shot feathers, vanes, and quick spin vanesin both. I like blazer vanes the most. I have always been a feather shooter and reluctantly swithced to vanes. The only thing I dont like about vanes are when they get boogered up, they are done. Feathers will stand a little more abusewhen shooting groups, butstill fall apart as well. Im sticking with blazers all around.

Oh, yea, I shoot all 4 inch vanes.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:24 AM

Good advice!! my 2 cents, i shoot a ripcord and just cranked up thehelical on my arrows, and love it they fly great!!! so helical it up i say.. oh i shoot 4 " vanes.. good luck.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

With the drop away you should be able to use any vain you want. Atleast that is what they boast. I have found though even with a drop away rest you can still have contact when released. the speed of these new bows makes it hard for even the drop aways to get out of the way in time.I had this problem with my switchback but got it licked by turning my knocks and expiermenting.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:23 PM

I am using Blazers with a right helical and as much offset as I can get. I shoot a QAD Ultra Rest drop away. I could not get it to fall fast enough for 4 fletch so I stuck with 3 fletch with the cock vane up. You may have to play around with where your cock vane goes but that should be about it. Good luck