Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
helical fletching and arrow rests >

helical fletching and arrow rests

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

helical fletching and arrow rests

Old 11-26-2002, 08:49 PM

Default helical fletching and arrow rests

I want to go to helical fletching but I don't really want to go with a drop-away rest. Is there any way I can shoot helical fletches through a stationary rest without fletch contact? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-28-2002, 09:27 AM

Default RE: helical fletching and arrow rests

I really don't understand why you would not want to go to a drop away rest. After 15 years of trying to get fletching clearence with prong and other style rest, I have finally found the perfect rest for me. The Muzzy zero effect is an absolutely great rest. I can shoot any style or size fletching with total clearence. You can shoot vane up-down-out and it works great. You also don't have to worry about your arrow falling of your rest at the wrong time. I will not shoot any other rest, and wouldn't buy a bow that this rest could not be installed on.Every day I shoot it, it impresses me more and more.You may have realized by now, I REALLY like this rest and other than the issue of getting a quiver to work on your bow, there are only pluses for this rest. Don

Old 11-29-2002, 10:54 AM

The reason I don't want to use a drop away is the possiblitly that it might not work. It may not be a problem with some rests, but it worries me anyway.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:49 AM

Just because you want to switch to helical fletch does not mean you have to use a drop away rest.I used the MZE O effect for a little while and sold it but I've always shot a TM style rest by Golden Key with no problem.Arrows fly fine from these rest you have to just tune it.I currently shoot straight fletch with a 2 degree offset and get fixed blade Thunderheads to shoot at almost 300FPS. Just need to tinker with it in the off season.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2002, 09:56 AM

billyj87 I understand your fear of the drop away rests, a lot of people feel that way. The main thing is they do work for some people and other just do not like them. both ways is really fine!

A rest I have been testing for a while is the 3-d royal by golden key. I found that I could open the arms up really wide to allow a beman ics 400 shaft with 4" helical to get through with no problems. The launcher arm allows tou to get a wider gap in there and a nice bonus is the fact the launchers add a bit of extra forgiveness that the TM launchers do not.

check it out at www.goldenkeyarchery.com
Old 12-01-2002, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot Beman ICS 400's with 4" helical out of my Bodoodle Pro 500 (Pro lite is virtually the same, or any other bodoodle rest) and have no clearance problems whatsoever. The arrow doesn't start to rotate until it clears the bow anyway,(cannot turn if it's on the string, and it is for all except about 6-8" after the powerstroke. How much can it really rotate in that distance?) so all you have to worry about is getting it through the rest as it sits at rest on it. Most of the time you can simply rotate your nock slightly one way or the other (that's why I use the ACC 3-60 uni-bushing inserts in the rear of my ICS's with "G" nocks, they're tighter and don't loosen up and move like the Supernocks do when just inserted into the rear end of the shaft) and that will normally take care of it. I've found no reason to go to a drop-away either, to me they are just more moving parts like cableslide rods and joints, strings or lanyards, or whatever that could fail or get caught on something. I know alot of people like them and that's fine, but they are just not for me. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12