Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need help reserving a bowstring >

Need help reserving a bowstring

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help reserving a bowstring

Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Need help reserving a bowstring

I'm reserving my bowstring myself for the first time. I am running in to trouble having enough room to spin the serving jig around the string when i get to my cable guard rod that sticks out. The rod is about an inch and a half above my nocking point so its pretty important that i fletch a little past the rod. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Default RE: Need help reserving a bowstring

Two ways to go about this, strike that, make it three.

You can remove the cable guard.

You can utilize one of those string/cable seperators (one is called the "U-serve-it". They push the string up away from the cables and cable guard.

Or you can pull out some extra serving, and wrap it by hand through that section. Wrapping the string below the guard, and then pushing it up to meet.Just make sure to keep the tension consistant bytugging on it a few times. Begin using the serving tool as soon as you can, and finish it out from there.

Hope this helps, have a good one---Matt
Old 08-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

You should put it in a bow press and slack it up just a little if possible. At any rate, you can make your own string and cable seperators if you have an old arrow of any kind and four nocks. Cut two 6-8 inch pieces from the arrow and put nocks in each end of each piece. Then put those on the sting and cable (like you would nock an arrow)to seperate you string and cable to give yourself room to work and space them however far apart you want to serve.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper
At any rate, you can make your own string and cable seperators if you have an old arrow of any kind and four nocks. Cut two 6-8 inch pieces from the arrow and put nocks in each end of each piece. Then put those on the sting and cable (like you would nock an arrow)to seperate you string and cable to give yourself room to work and space them however far apart you want to serve.
Great tip! Thats an interesting way to utilize broken arrows!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:27 AM

You should put it in a bow press and slack it up just a little if possible.
I'm not sure if you want to do this. Once the string is retensioned, the serving could separate. I think it's best to simply wrap with a little slack in the serving tool, once you get to the cable guard. Brownell makes a product called Liquid Lok that helps keep the serving from separating.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Well I took snood's advice and made a couple seperaters out of an old arrow and it worked great. Now I'm back in business.