Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Thoughts on Helicals? >

Thoughts on Helicals?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thoughts on Helicals?

Old 09-25-2002, 03:57 PM

Default Thoughts on Helicals?

What is a good degree helical in your opinion? What is the maximum helical you would put on a vane?

Currently I'm shooting 29 3/4" Beman ICS Hunters with 4" AAE vanes at a 1 degree right helical.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Thoughts on Helicals?

Arrowguy,

You are shooting "offset" at 1 degree with the vane is fletched up straight and place a bit diagonal on the shaft. A helical fletching is curved and very hard to apply to smaller diameter shafted carbons. The amount of helical or offset depends a bit on your setup because getting good rest clearance with your fletchings is a major consideration. You can pretty easily shoot several degrees of offset without too much trouble and still get good clearance. Helical is another story and requires some more work to get clearance. Many archers have gone to a dropaway rest to eliminate this problem.

Aim Hard!
Old 09-26-2002, 08:31 AM

I'm shooting the Muzzy Zero effect so I've got the clearance problem fixed. The vanes do have a helical not an offset. I fletched them in a right wing clamp.(It was difficult to keep all edges of the vane flush on the shaft when I fletched)

So how radical can I go and still be ok?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have 5 inch vains with a 6 degree right helical On my gold tip 5575 xt's.
My rest is a Bodoodle Pro Lite I dont get any vain contact at all.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:38 AM

I shoot 5 inch vanes also with a good amount of helical and I do get some contact with my Bodoodle rest as evidence of the residue on the speed fins. I still get great arrow flight and accuracy and do my share of tearing up arrows when I shoot closer than 30 yards. I think the fletching contact thing is a little over done IMO. A lot of traditional shooters don't complain and some claims from those that use the Whisker Biscut arrow rest say that they wouldn't shoot anything else. If you are getting great accuracy there is nothing to worry about, contact or no contact.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:53 AM

How extreme can I go with the helical though? I know I must be able to go more than I'm at now but how much more?

Also...Has anyone here had any luck using Bohning vanes with Bondtite on their carbons? I've tried before and they looked good coming out of the fletcher but when I tugged hard on them they came off. As of now I'm still stuck using the less durable (IMO) AAE vanes with fastset gel (they stay on REALLY well).