Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
6 1/4" brace height too short? >

6 1/4" brace height too short?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

6 1/4" brace height too short?

Old 09-21-2002, 01:59 AM

Default 6 1/4" brace height too short?

Of course. The first thing I do when I think I have done all my research and have pretty much decided on the bow that I want I read Bill Winkes article on the "Perfect Hunting Bow".

I have my reasons for choosing the short axle to axle bow that I did. I want to shoot from a sitting posistion, lightweight, dense forest, treestand, yadda, yadda, yadda. The one thing that Bill mentioned that leaves me wondering is what he had said about brace height. I guess it didn't really cross my mind while I was at the shop (I should know better) but the new bow I was thinking about purchasing only has a 6 1/4" brace height.

The bow was comfortable and I felt like I couldn't miss when I shot it. The bow that I picked for my 2nd choice I think I even liked a little more (the reason I made it my second choice was because it cost about $75.00 more). Anyway it has a 7.75" brace height. Will it really make that much of a differnce as far as forgiveness and accuracy? I'm thinking if it does it's worth paying the $75.00. I am curious what you guys think.

By the way the Bows are a Martin Phantom Mag and a BowTech Stalker.

Thanks for any input
Kirk

Old 09-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2002, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6 1/4" brace height too short?

I'd go with the bowtech , that martin sounds unforgiving , but try both first and see which shoots better for you . Remember in the heat of the moment your form will probably go to hell so a forgiving bow is what you want for hunting .

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 09-21-2002, 08:19 PM

I would go for more barce height in a hunting bow. I like to have at least 7". I have shot 6.25" brace height bows to hunt with but you really have to watch when you ware heavy clothing even with an armguard. This year I am shooting a css system 1 with 8.25" of brace height and it is very forgiving it will be a great hunting bow.
cebpa <><
Old 09-21-2002, 08:52 PM

In cold hunt= lots of cloths. Strings that hit sleves on a shot on game can cause a miss or a wound. Better brace hieght can hardly go wrong. 7 1/2 min. are my choice
Old 09-21-2002, 10:53 PM

Thanks.
I have a 29" draw. I think I'll go shoot the BowTech again.

My wifes friend has a Stalker that her husband bought her. She's not into it, never shoots it and I think they might want to sell it. If it is not a Stalker Lite I was thinking about possibly buying it from them. I'm sure that the draw weight is probably very low (I want a 65# draw). Can the pro shop lengthen the draw for me and bump it up to a 65#? Would it cost very much?
Old 09-22-2002, 12:15 AM

Hi, sorry but I just had to put my 2cnts in.
My experience with brace hieghts, I owned a Darton Maverick for about 3 yrs. 6 1/4" brace height. I'm not a pro or anything but I shot it pretty well and never slapped my arm. Pretty good groups also, 3D and hunting.
I purchased a Bowtech Patriot in May. 7 1/2" BH. I've been shooting it about every other day (literally). Still slap my arm with it every once in a while and it is setup exactly the same draw as my maverick. Got the marks to prove it. That WC string is butal. Also tried shooting with the grip off. For me it was no change. Don't get me wrong I love the bow, but I shot the Maverick much better. I think it just all depends on what the shooter likes and feels comfortable with.
IMO Brace height is still a factor with me to a point in deciding on a bow. But is not the only thing to consider.
Think about this,a longer brace hieght is supposed to be more forgiving because it leaves the string quicker and has less time for something to go wrong (shooter error). OK, what other part of the bow is the arrow touching all the way to the RISER. The arrow rest. Unless your using a drop away wouldn't shooter error (form) still play a part even if your shooting a 9in. BH?
If someone can tell me a technical answer for this, I would welcome it. I've been trying to find one for some time now.
Whatever you decide to buy, just make sure it feels good to you when you shoot. It makes it more enjoyable and ultimatly will make you a better shot.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]