Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

crossbows

Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 PM

Default crossbows

need imfo on crossbows trying to set one up. please help!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: crossbows

What exactly do you need to know?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:30 PM

pretty much all but really need to sight the thing in
Old 06-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

The most important thing to remember about sighting in a cross bow is that unlike a rifle where you can shoot from different positions and still keep the same point of impact or very close to it. A cross bow will not usually hit the same POI when fired from different positions. As a cross bows limbs recoil they are moving the bow around. If you sight it in off hand you will likley hit a very different spot if you were to rest the forend on a rest.

When sighting in a cross bow just like a regular compound you move the front sight the same direction that the arrow is off from your point of aim. If you choose to use a scope then sight it in just like a rifle.

When I set up a cross bow with a single pin or red dot scope I would usually sight it in dead on at 25 yards. It would impact a couple of inches low at 30 yards and at 40 yards hold at the to of the deers back.

Being that a cross bow is almost untuneable I would suggest a very small profile fixed blade broadhead like the NAP nitrons, Rocky Mountain turbo, Wasp bullet, Sonics or a stout mechanical.

Forget about making one quiet, it aint gonna happen. You can lower the noise some but a crossbow will still be extremely loud when compared to a compound.

Longer bolts (20 - 22 inches) tend to fly better than short bolts and tend not to drop as drastically at longer ranges.

I hope this helps some.