Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 new to crossbows need help >

new to crossbows need help

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

new to crossbows need help

Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Default new to crossbows need help

Im new to crossbows. i just picked up a HD175 and sighted it in at the shop, went home and was grouping field tips at 30 in the size of a half dollar. I was grinning ear to ear, even pulled the wife out and she could do the same. she has no experience with any wheapon. put on field tips and was disgusted. i was taking up the whole target, no consistency at all, the same arrows were hitting in a different spot every time. tried a different brand broadhead with the same results, and neither brand was cheap. these were the high dollar tips. ive read some of the earlier post here and noticed im using the right grain (100). any help?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to crossbows need help

Watch it guys.... Riggsb could be a plant sent here to get you kids arguing over which B-Head is best and to take your minds off the task at hand which is killing deer. Slick Tricks, Rockets, even Wasps (Don)are all gonna get votes. Knapped flint works best for me. Actually Brian your gonna get lots of good advice about many B-Heads. The only problem is you gotta be wealthy to try them all. Good luck and I am sure you will be hitting with B-Heads as well as feild points before you know it. I am just kidding guys and I DO NOT want a turn in the Barrel >>>>>>Whack!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:44 PM

When you get above 300 fps life gets alot harder! I think the bow you speak of shoots at 320 or so. With my old super mag which shot around 260 to 270 I never had a problem with the old muzzys. But when I got the new super max 175, which is an older version of the hd 175 I had the same problems. Was lucky to keep them in a six inch circle. But the field tips flew great. This year I am going to shoot the new Tekan Two's. They are the new cam style design mechs that do not hindge but slide back on a cam design. They are flying just like my field tips to the inch mark! In the morning I am going to try fifty yards with them! You can find a fixed blade but it will be alot of work and money. Life in the fast lane has its disadvantages. Also just to make sure, did you spin test your B-heads to make sure they are on straight? If they are not that can give you a problem.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Check your bolts, string, and cables. If all looks good try with the field points again to see if it really is the broadheads.

even poor flying b-heads should be more consistent than that.

Mitch
Old 09-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

riggsb, first you said with field points you were hitting half dollar groups and smiling ear to ear then you go home and put on field points and are shooting all over the place and are disgusted. I'm confused, are you "punch drunk"?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:47 PM

Now how do you know his name is Brian?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:49 PM

I think I was just mocked!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:53 PM

sorry early in, meant broad heads. also on a side note, i use the same broad heads on my and i have to re-adjust my sights from field points but they were consistent.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I checked his profile to learn his name and yes, you were being mocked. I would sure try the old spin test. Geez this is fun. I just assumed he had changed from field tips to Broadheads and I sure am no Rocket scientist>>>>>>Whack!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Now how do you know his name is Brian?
Something doesn't make sense, originally his name was posted as John, I looked it up. Then it was changed to Brian, what's up with that?

Quick Reply: new to crossbows need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.