Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New to crossbows >

New to crossbows

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New to crossbows

Old 09-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default New to crossbows

my crossbow came today. As i mentioned in another post i got the Barnett Revolution. I am going to outdoor world tonight and gonna purchase the varizone scope.
What size and what brand broadheads should i get. I know everyone has a prefrence but what ever gets listed i will look at while i am there.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to crossbows

Congratulations on the new bow!
Ok no one gets to go crazy here from what I say.
I like 100 grain broadheads. I like and use thunderheads, all wasps (don't know about the sharp shooters) and my fav mechanical is the wasp jackhammer. As a general rule you should look for something with a smaller profile like up to 1 1/8 wide or so. What ever works in the end and it pays to experiment not to mention that its fun to "tinker".

Old 09-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

for one of my crossbows I like the way Nap Thunderheads shoot for the other Slicktricks..
Old 09-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe Barnett advises a 125 gr b-head. I know their bows take/need a heavy arrow, and my personal experience tells me your FOC will be better w/ 125 vs 100 gr. I also am not fond of mechs, but lots of guys here are. My b-head of choice is the Slick Tricks, which I doubt you can get at this point in time, may be something to play w/ between seasons. I think 10 pt pushes the Spitfire for mechs for their bows, might want to start there. I would also offer the advice to get your set-up well dialed in w/ field points before experimenting w/ b-heads, and that the real deal shows up at 30 yds vs 20 yds. Good Luck and hope ya get a nice one!!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

What ever b-head you decide on, check your states Reg's on minimum cut width's!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:02 PM

I shot muzzys for a long time and never had any problems with them. All the that I shot at was always recovered, some went longer then I would like but the muzzys always did their job. Now this year I am trying the tekan twos. I am not ahuge mech fan but am tired of looking at them in the books and would like to see if they are any good. When I shot my old super mag I never had much of a problem with flyers. With my new bow I started to have a few and that was my main force for trying the mech this year. Its called b-head tuning and I just did't want to try a bunch to see which one worked with my bow so I just took the easy street and am trying the mechs. The tekans are flying true and I have no problems with them. A b-head is just like a bow, you have to find what works for you and you feel good with in the stand. Good luck and congrats on your bow purchase. Please keep us up to date on how your set up does!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot 20" XX75 shafts tipped with 100 grain Thunderheads from a 180# recurve crossbow .