Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

EUROPEAN MOUNTS

Old 01-14-2005, 09:46 PM

Default EUROPEAN MOUNTS

I'm doing a mount and I bought a gallon of peroxide cream and someone told me that I can either brush it on or do the boil thing Which way is the correct way to do it? If I brush it on how long can I expect results? If I boil it do I mix with water or put in full strtength? any ideas would be helpful. thanks for your time
Old 01-15-2005, 09:42 PM

Default RE: EUROPEAN MOUNTS

hi patriot, first u clean all the hair off, and as much meat and membrains as u can, then boil the head to soften the rest off the tissue,u only boil for a few hours. then i take a sharp knife and scrape off as much membrain as i can, then i use a roto tool with a copper brush and clean the rest off, this works really well.then let the scull dry for a few hours, when it is completly dry u then brush on the acid and let it sit always put it in a plastic bag. u may have to put on more than 1 coat on, when it is done it should be clean and white! good luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 PM

Manboy thanks for the info, but another ? after brushing it on how long should it take or go by the pref. of the color meaning the more coats the whiter it gets?
Old 01-17-2005, 05:25 PM

the way i do mounts is boil them
Old 01-24-2005, 02:26 PM

We've never called it European Mounts, but we take the skulls like this and sit them in a fire ant bed for a while, then in the sun to bleach the bone white.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Normally peroxide cream requires heat to activate to the best usage. I put it under a heat lamp and let it dry. Rinse and repeat.

I would prefer not to scrape and dang sure not use a roto type brush on the skull as it will create non natural scars on the bone. If you want it to look the best let nature take its course.

Be very careful of boiling. It opens bone pores and allows liquified grease to enter those pores, possibly to never come out. Museums usually will not allow any skulls to be boiled. They require the meat to rot off in water etc... which is what I do. Its more time consuming but produces a superior skull all the time.

Jeff