Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

European Mounts

Old 03-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Default European Mounts

I found a deer skull last year while hunting andI was wondering how to do it, and what would be the best way to do it.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: European Mounts

look at the taxidermy section of this website, they'll get you headed in the right direction.

Boiling the flesh off works well as the first step,(after you give it a go with the razorblade of course)especially for skulls where the meat has had a chance to rot onto the bone as it kind of sounds like, i'm guessing, in this case.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Boiling too long can ruin the skull. I bought dermestide bettles and putmydeer headin my garage with a heater but they all died within a week. Now it is buried in my backyard and I am going to dig it up at the end of may and see how in looks.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Stonewall308

Boiling too long can ruin the skull. I bought dermestide bettles and putmydeer headin my garage with a heater but they all died within a week. Now it is buried in my backyard and I am going to dig it up at the end of may and see how in looks.
Before my workplace got our beetles we did euros by boiling and I've never seen a skull ruined by it.
Note to others: While beetles may seem like a great thing to do there are some problems:
1) Not cost effective for the individual doing a couple skulls a year
2) They're only 1 step of the process...after that you need to get your hands on comercial grade chemicals for a professional looking skull, also not cost effective for the individual.

Boiling is definetly the way to go IMHO for the individual not looking to invest an arm and a leg for a euro mount or two over the course of a year.