Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Antler question

Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Antler question

After I do the boiling for my Euro mount how and what do I use to give the antlers a darker look ? They are almost bleach white looking now and this was this years kill.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Antler question

they could be stained. im not too sure of the method used to do it though.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

You can use antler stain or antler wax. Van Dykes Taxidermy sells some online for a reasonable price. You can pick the shade of darkness for both the stain and wax. In my experience, the light color does a good job and when you need it darker, just apply another coat. Make sure when you stain them, to have the skull upside down so you don't get any drips on your nice white skull.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks jklink, will give that a try. Now a bleaching question. Will proxide work or will bleach work and what ratio to water?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use peroxide ( 40% ) mixed with Basic White. Both can be purchased at beauty salon supplie store such as Sally's beauty supply. regular over the counter peroxide isn't strong enough IMO. I mix both together and make a paste, then cover the skull in it.After a day or so, the paste will dry and crack and start falling off. At this time, I rinse it all off under so warm water in the sink and dry the skull. Next, I apply a coat of clear sealer and 2 coats of clear gloss. Mount it on the plaque of your choice!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

European skull mounts

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long. If your horns get peroxide on them, you can buy Potassium Permanganate from Research Mannikins or Jonas Brothers supply, it goes on purple and the more coats you add the darker it gets.

Rich
Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

excaliber has some good info. I use the same basic white and 40volume peroxide. I also buy it from Van Dykes (it's a littler cheaper than Sally's, or at least my local Sally's)
regular peroxide in the brown bottle isn't strong enough. It will take to long and you won't be as happy with the outcome. Bleach, well I've never used it, but have heard stories of it making the bone to brittle and eventually turning yellow. That is not from personal experience, so if that is wrong, sorry.