Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PA Antler Restriction Question

Old 09-12-2002, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Antler Restriction Question

If the antler restriction is made to bring down the doe population and make a better balance, why does it not apply to the more populated counties where the population is out of control? If I were to hunt near Phila. I could shoot a spike and call it a season whereas, in upstate PA, I would have to shoot does until the big one came by. Why are there no restrictions in the areas that need them?

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-12-2002, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA Antler Restriction Question

Barnes,

Your logic makes sense but the flaw in your reasoning is the original premise of your statement. Antler restrictions are not in place to bring down the doe herd. Increased doe license applications as well as increased doe season opportunities are what is intended to bring down the doe herd.

The antler restrictions are in place to allow yearling bucks to grow in order to allow better breeding opportunities and a more well balanced, healthy deer herd.

I also don't understand why you would need restrictions in the Philadelphia area when most of the land is closed to public hunting and the bigger bucks are already a larger percentage of the herd.

Old 09-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there are so many deer in the suburban areas, would PA ever consider selling a certain amount of bonus buck tags for certain counties? Too many deer means too many deer, buck or doe. I think there's a lot of private land that will be hard to manage, though, no matter what they impose.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-12-2002, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could give hunters in SRA's 10 doe tags and 10 buck tags and there won't be any significant difference in the numbers of deer shot. THe biggest problem hunting SRA's is too much land is closed to hunting.

Some things are true whether you believe them or not.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Spike

I think the game commission should start lumbering their game lands. They make a ton of money, hence possible buy more game lands, drop the prices of tags, improve existing game lands, have more money for research and stocking programs. I think it would only be beneficial in the long run. what do think?

Old 09-12-2002, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That might start a bad precedent. If you have greedy people in the game commission, they might want to over-lumber for profit and not the best interest of the land. Maybe not, though.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-13-2002, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> THe biggest problem hunting SRA's is too much land is closed to hunting.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Exactly.