Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 HELP FUR CARE ADVICE NEEDED!!! >

HELP FUR CARE ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

HELP FUR CARE ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Default HELP FUR CARE ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Krowtann 2000 Simply rough flesh your hide, mix your tan, soak 3 to 4 days, do your final fleshing and neutralize wash and mount SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME PLEASE
Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HELP FUR CARE ADVICE NEEDED!!!

What else is there to explain? I'm not sure I understand the question.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM

I use krowtann an its awesome... But its just a wet tan its not for clothes or anything.. But if you are going to use krowtann a warning its messy, But gives great stretch. Iv used it for cape buff, all the way down to a bobcat. you do need a fletchinmachine to use and oil your tans after you are done with the final shave. But the most important thing is to not leave the hide in the tan for to long because if done so then they sometime begin to slip in the tan only if you leave in the tan for more than 2 months ( i tested on one of my hides to see what would happen) And a critial park is when you are neutralizing. Dont leave in for to long best for about 15-17 mins and then clean well
Old 02-06-2007, 07:59 PM

game hunter can you explain the steps in lame mans term, im new to just about everything and i really would like to learn how to keep my furs
Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM

jonesy

ok well here is the basics of tanning
When you are tanning you are trying to get the hair folacles to stick to the skin of the animal and thats why it is simple to use crow tan..there is no need for a tumbler (aka dryerfor the spincycle) at all. The crow tan is best used for a white tail at 2.5 gallons of water in a bucket and 8oz of krowtan and 64 oz of salt... I like to use Hott water to start with because it seems to make everything kick better. Make sure that everthing is mixed well. Then put your hide in... let sit for 4-5 days moving the hide and removing it everyday for about 3 mins a day...Then take the hide out of the tan and into a neutralizer... Im not sure about the measurments off the top of my head but i think its 2 gals ofwarm water and 6 oz of baking soda for 15 mins. The neutralizer is what will get all the tan off the hide. But take it out after 15 mins and scrub it in a sink with cold water and tide.. makeing sure all the blood and everything is off especialy the baking soda because if you do not get the bakin soda off completly the hide will slip ending up with just nothing.. after you are done with the neutralizing hang it to air out for about 5 mins and then go to your fletchin wheel and shave the hide as thin as possable. this will allow more stretch which means a nicer mount. When done shaving it then oill the hide and stick in the freezer until its ready to mount. Its not good to leave the hide out because it will slip.. I think i made this as easy as i could just ask if anything else is neeeded