Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Care tips needed >

Care tips needed

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Care tips needed

Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Care tips needed

I will be heading out in the forst part of Sept, and be bow hunting for elk and deer for at least two weeks, maybe longer. When we get a kill it will be hauled out and taken to the locker a few hours away. I wanted to know if I should get that monster deer, what steps I need to take to ensure a good mountable head for the taxidermisit. I would like to have the elk head mounted, but I know that wont happen. What tips can you give me to preserve the hide of deer and elk to ensure I can have it tanned? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from those in the know!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Care tips needed

Get it skinned and to the locker ASAP. Don't roll the hide up when it's warm. Don't apply salt unless you understand splitting, turning, and fleshing.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Care tips needed

What M said but also keep in mind that what you do in the field will determine what your trophy looks like. If you drag it (deer obviously) and break the hair, it will show in your mount. If you already have a taxidermist, talk to them. I show any clients that want to learn, how to turn ears, lips, etc. I have a client coming to learn about mulies and proper field care because where they are going it's 2 hrs to the meat locker. Also talk to your taxidermist about mounting your elk, see if you can make payments. I let some of my clients pay little at a tima and when they get it paid for, it will be waiting them. Good luck