Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Question re: mounting an older rack? >

Question re: mounting an older rack?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Question re: mounting an older rack?

Old 07-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Spike

Default Question re: mounting an older rack?

I have a very nice non-typical that I got a few years ago, but did not have mounted (money was tight).So I cleaned it up a bit and let it dry out where the critters couldn't get at it.

It's a bit weathered and the horns are bleached out and I was wondering whether it's beyond hope or if it is possible to dye the horns back and perhaps bleach the skull to do a European mount. (My wife allows those cause in her mind it's not like looking at a real deer)

I realize it might not be perfect from a taxidermist's perspective, but some hunting buddies I showed it to were shocked that I hadn't had it mounted (I think a couple of them were kinda mad I hadn't preserved this trophy).

I can email a pic to anyone who could give me better advice by seeing it - just PM me and I will shoot you a photo of it.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question re: mounting an older rack?

Yes, it could likely be made to look very nice. It may also be something you could do yourself, but without seeing it, it's tough to say what it needs.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Spike

I'm new to the forums so not completely adept at working em yet, but I'll try and paste a pic this afternoon like I've seen others do.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a rack mounted like that. My great grandfather had a rack of an 11 pt that scored 176 3/8 buck didn't mount anything because of lack of money. When we got the rack, we had it mounted on a cape, and it looks nice.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Spike

I finally figured out how to size pics so they could be uploaded - Here is what the rack currently looks like -

Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Spike

Here is another view -

Old 07-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It can definitely be fixed. The skull should be fine once cleaned up. Or if you aren't worried about scoring it the antlers can be sawed off and put on an artificial skull. Where in IL are you? I can give you a name of a taxidermist near Jerseyville, If you are close to that area. You could also come up with a cape and do a shoulder mount. They can stain the antlers to look natural. That is what I would do. Those are some awsome antlers.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Spike

Thx Jim, but not sure where Jerseyville is - which means I can't possibly live close - I'm just NW of Chicago bout 30 miles.

Good to know the antlers can be dyed, that was my biggest concern. The skull I figured could be bleached and touched up pretty easy, it's actually in good shape considering it wasn't stored with the greatest of care.

I've had too many comments on it by guys who saw it, and were shocked I didn't have it mounted.Tho I'm not much for mounting heads I figured this one deserves it.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Jerseyville would a bit of a drive, near St. louis. Find a good taxidermist close to home and good luck. That rack definitely deserves to be mounted. He may even have some spare capes or can get you one.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:05 PM

mighty fine rack i would deffinately mount that one.