Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Question about Older Chessie. >

Question about Older Chessie.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Question about Older Chessie.

Old 09-11-2003, 01:01 PM

Default Question about Older Chessie.

Hello Everyone:

A reciently aquired a chesapeake from a friend in the military. He couldn' t take the dog with him to a duty assignment in Korea, so he asked if I would take the dog. She is 6 years old, and never really had any training. I have taken her back to a pond I have and she loves swimming, and isn' t afraid of the shotgun. She will go retieve, but lacks in bringing back the dummy to my hand. She seems too full of energy. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on training this dog. Or even if the dog is still able to be trained after 6 years. She listens well, and kennels when I tell her. I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks
Bill(Wi)
Old 09-12-2003, 11:56 PM

Default RE: Question about Older Chessie.

This link should be a pretty good starting place. I would love to have a chessie and have been researching them for about a year now.

Nate

http://www.amchessieclub.org/
Old 09-13-2003, 02:04 PM

Default RE: Question about Older Chessie.

Bill,

It appears you have obediance, gunfire and exposure to water under control, so my advice would be introduction to birds. The dog is definitely trainable at six years of age (Chesseis are very intelligent). Continue working the dog as you have, get birds " in her system" and everything should fall into play. Repetition is the key -- along with exposure to birds. Just remember plenty of praise and do not be too hard on the dog. Chessies can be very unforgiving