Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 How have you guys been doing? >

How have you guys been doing?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

How have you guys been doing?

Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 PM

Default How have you guys been doing?

I havent been in here too much lately, so I figured Id ask how you guys have been getting by so far this spring and summer. Hope you all have gotten some spring bears and turks in, unless you didnt want any, then I hope its been quiet for you!
Old 06-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How have you guys been doing?

I took in 12 turkeys and 5 lifesize bears and 3 rugs plus lots of other things. Iam way ahead of last year and loveing it.

Rich
Old 06-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, Bill. Glad to see ya back. Man I am swamped, busier than during deer season. AT least it seems like it. I still have deer coming in, fox, coons, African, bears, etc. Glad I don't do fish. I hope things are well with you. I still have to find time to do my comp pieces.[8D][8D]
Old 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM

Not taking in any more orders due to being behind due to last seasons hurricanes, that set me behind 8 months.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if I count here but...
I put off my Taxidermy learnin' for a little while. The wife laid down an ultimatum that I had better put in her new kitchen first before I started any new ventures. I've only been promising her a new kitchen for a short 17 years or so. I finished the deer "rug" for my daughter. See the thread for pictures. I learned quite a bit on that one thing. I guess that's what it is all about...learnin' a little each time. I'm gearing up for my first whitetail mount soon. I bought the cape already wet tanned from a guy named Joe Birchler...real good guy, I can tell right off. I figured to make it a little easier on myself and not try to skin, tan and mount my first. I'll learn that on the next one. I did learn quite a bit from fleshing and tanning that "rug". The biggest thing I learned is that I only want to do one of those in my life and that was it!
I hope to get a few bucks this fall from family to experiment with. I'm in PA so I need to get some experience and then go for the license before I can take paying customers, legally that is. I got distracted for a little while but I can see how this can become an obsession for some.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Livbucks - DO yourself a favor and join your state association of taxidermist, you live in one of the best assoc. that exist. If you use it, the way it should be used, it will help you more than you can imagine. It will open doors that were closed before. Trust me on this.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:02 PM

Livbucks, I know Joe Birchler. Hes a really good guy, he and I met at one of my hands-on seminars. If I recall correctly, hes in Indiana. Good luck with the kitchen.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm doing pretty good how about you bill. hope to get my second deer mounted some time this month hope to here from you on my post dp vs. tan.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bill, the kitchen is mostly done save for the undercabinet lighting, crown molding and tile backsplash. I gutted it to the studs. Relocated the sink, dishwasher and stove. All new plumbing lines, gas line and wiring. Complete new layout. Should have been built that way but the builder was a cheapskate. With that mostly out of the way I can start to concentrate on TAXIDERMY, WOOHOO!